LisaRudd

Thanks for responding so quickly. Greatly appreciated. What do you think if I underglaze with the correct cone over the top of the bisqued cone 6 underglaze? Or should i just glaze and fire see what happens?

I’m so bummed as I’ve created some great (for a beginner) pieces, and I’ve been so excited waiting to see the finished products. In fact I’ve spent every day for the past 2 months of lockdown creating these while waiting to get them fired after reopening.

40 minutes ago, LisaRudd said:

What do you think if I underglaze with the correct cone over the top of the bisqued cone 6 underglaze? Or should i just glaze and fire see what happens?

Pots such as your platter that are for functional use should be fired to the clays maturity. If you used a clay that matures at cone 9 then it's best to fire to that. If you have spend the past 2 months working on these pots I wouldn't rush things now just to get them fired. I know it can be a real temptation to get pots glazed but it can also be a big disappointment if things don't go according to plan.

Do you by chance have a scrap pot or some test tiles made with the same clay? If you do I would strongly suggest to try out your underglazes on that with your cone 9 glaze and fired to cone 9. Even if you just have bisque fired test tiles or a scrap pot and don't want to re-bisque the underglazes on it's worth doing. If you find some of the underglazes burn off on your test piece(s) you could cover them with another layer of underglaze that you find doesn't burn off. Preferably testing this first too.

Welcome to the forum. 

• 1 year later...