Where to find a wooden clay mallet in Europe...

I'm in the Netherlands (Europe) and I'm trying to get my hands on a wooden clay mallet as seen in the video below... but so far I haven't found any retailers selling them.

Best I can get is a generic wooden mallet but those are not the correct shape. 

Any ideas? I'm getting the impression people on here are mostly from the U.S. so I don't have high hopes.

Hi Bas!

Item in question:

1061477483_claymallet.JPG.3778c25ab240b047f34ecfe4b97246f4.JPG

Pate Woodworks (Brooklyn, New York, USA) has somewhat like it.
...found several wood hammers "for clay" in Netherlands, however, with round/cylindrical striking end. Perhaps paddle would be a better search string...

Then found Xiem clay paddle

Xiem Clay Paddle L - slaghout | De pottenbakster (keramiekenglazuur.nl)

Ya, that'd be my choice, if in the market for a pre-made paddle-ish striking tool.

However, a I'd also consider making one (else, having one made), where starting with a tapered cylinder gets one most o' the way, as cutting off part of the cylinder to make the flat side would be much easier than forming the rounded part, then drilling and fitting a handle, complete with sanding and sealing, voila.

30 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Hi Bas!

Item in question:

1061477483_claymallet.JPG.3778c25ab240b047f34ecfe4b97246f4.JPG

Pate Woodworks (Brooklyn, New York, USA) has somewhat like it.
...found several wood hammers "for clay" in Netherlands, however, with round/cylindrical striking end. Perhaps paddle would be a better search string...

Then found Xiem clay paddle

Xiem Clay Paddle L - slaghout | De pottenbakster (keramiekenglazuur.nl)

Ya, that'd be my choice, if in the market for a pre-made paddle-ish striking tool.

However, a I'd also consider making one (else, having one made), where starting with a tapered cylinder gets one most o' the way, as cutting off part of the cylinder to make the flat side would be much easier than forming the rounded part, then drilling and fitting a handle, complete with sanding and sealing, voila.

Hi Hulk, thanks for the extensive reply! I found that exact paddle as well. My fear is that it won’t work as well since it’s not that heavy as the mallet. From what I’ve read the weight is important. 

Making one myself is going to be a challenge as I have little woodworking experience but it might be a fun little side project. 

Thanks again!

33 minutes ago, Min said:

If they ship to Europe chineseclayart has this one: https://www.chineseclayart.com/Store/Search?Query=mallet

image.png.ceac8a3cf401875dd441fe4ccbb616e3.png

Hi Min,

Thank you for finding that one. It looks exactly right. $25 S&H though, but that was to be expected. Also I suspect there will be duty added on top of that. 

Not cheap but I might consider it. 

Before you shop online, check and see if your country has any ecological controls they want to have observed. Wooden products sometimes have issues going from one country to another. My husband has a fun story about the time he had to try and ship humidors to Hawaii for someone’s golf retreat.

edited to add: If that’s the case, you might take the design to a carpenter friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Try clicking on this link. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000499847505.html?ug_edm_item_id=4000499847505&edm_click_module=item_detail&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=aeug_edm_24677_1_en_US_2021-11-05&rowan_msg_id=6854biz_pay_after_purchase:0:0_4428308$2e987c75b5d949c4b0395cbd8b865cda&ck=in_edm_other

If that doesn't work, you can try going to

aliexpress.com,   and putting   "Wooden Clay Paddles Pottery Tool"  in the search field.

The packages usually come directly from  China and can take weeks to arrive. 

I wish you the best

Cynthia

• 10 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, Cline Campbell Pottery said:

Try clicking on this link. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000499847505.html?ug_edm_item_id=4000499847505&edm_click_module=item_detail&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=aeug_edm_24677_1_en_US_2021-11-05&rowan_msg_id=6854biz_pay_after_purchase:0:0_4428308$2e987c75b5d949c4b0395cbd8b865cda&ck=in_edm_other

If that doesn't work, you can try going to

aliexpress.com,   and putting   "Wooden Clay Paddles Pottery Tool"  in the search field.

The packages usually come directly from  China and can take weeks to arrive. 

I wish you the best

Cynthia

Cline, I have one, but not recommended.  This one is too small and too light (wood is very light). It is not working for me.
Better (more heavy) option from my “locals” work:  https://www.ceramiq.pl/klepaczka-drewniana-nr-1 but this one should be bigger (head) and more heavy to be optimal.

Best Regards!

On 10/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Bas said:

Hi Min,

Thank you for finding that one. It looks exactly right. $25 S&H though, but that was to be expected. Also I suspect there will be duty added on top of that. 

Not cheap but I might consider it. 

Hi Bas, do you get one? It is sandal wood, really? Does It work for you?

Other option to try https://www.chinaclayart.com/products/wood-mallet

Best Regards

i never realized my whammer dammer would be so hard to find as a finished product.   the very elegant looking fancy ones look very pretty.   i just want to smack the clay into place so i did it myself.   if anyone in another country wants one, try a business that sells wood for building houses.  i know we call that wood "lumber"  while in the UK it is called "timber" so i am only calling it wood.  

a hardwood that has little grain would work for that very smooth surface.  if you find a business selling wood, ask for a piece about a cube shape about  10 mm  and 72mm long so you can use most of it for the large part and have a handle left at one end.  the dealer may be able to shape it for you or suggest one of his customers who can do it.  it cannot possibly cost more than shipping and might be ready very quickly.