TerryC

TerryC

I am trying to repair a potters wheel that has stopped working and need some help please.  

The machine has no maker's name.  There is a plate with the following details:  HP 0.25, Volts 240, Phase 1, Model 4.  It then says to quote the S/no 19877 if ordering spares.  Who from??

The drive motor is by Sew-Tric Ltd. of London. and is 240 v AC, 5000rpm, 188 W.out, Type R2, Class 1.  There is also a number on the motor plate that appears to be RL001440.

The motor controller has a circuit board with the words "SPEED CON DEEL" on the back of it.  There is a glass component that appears to have blown as it is very black inside the glass.

I really don't know what I'm looking at here and don't know how to upload pics to this forum.  Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks, Terry.

Pictures would help, look on the bottom left where it says drag files here to attach or choose files for the upload part. The glass component is likely a fuse and it sounds as if it is blown. Fuses blow when there is an electrical overload or short circuit. They terminate all the power to the device preventing fire or further overload damage. If you replace the fuse with one of proper rating and it blows again, then you will need to troubleshoot and find the shorted component (s)

Hi Terry!

Should you double back on uploading images, note the file types accepted and file size limitation. I use the Snipping Tool to select desired image, then save as type .jpg to get under the size limit; there are other strategies. I like cropping the image and reducing file size (resolution suffers, meh) at same time.

The good news, that appears to be a neon light bulb and not a fuse.  Basic electrical troubleshooting is probably your next best as in following where power comes in checking routing and continuity through switches, fuses, etc.  If you are familiar or have someone who is, I think the next step would be to sequentially trouble shoot this path as best you can. Please observe all necessary electrical safety around live parts.

If you post an overview type picture of the machine someone here might recognize the make / model.

Edited by Bill Kielb