Kentucky Mudworks Clay

Roberta12

My supplier has recently began carrying Kentucky Mudworks Clay.  Does anyone have experience with that clay?  If so, which clay bodies?  I am curious about the Iceman and White Bear.   I am always on the lookout for a white stoneware that is not too groggy.  I may have a chance to actually, in person, go to the supply house this weekend!!!

Thanks,

Roberta

Hello Roberta, I have used both of them. I like the Ice Man more than the White Bear myself for throwing on the wheel...it has more strength. They both fire white, the Bear more than the Ice Man, but remember the White Bear vitrifies closer to cone 7.  They are both what I would consider clays that are not too groggy, but take care as Ky Mudworks does manufacture 2 varieties of the Ice Man...one with grog and the other regular.  They both take glazes well. I live in Southeast Indiana, and was going to grab some from a supplier in Cincinnati yesterday (while I was in the city for other things) and they were out of the Ice Man (supply problems of course). I may have to make a "road trip" to Lexington Ky to re-supply. This is just my personal opinion, as your hands are different than mine, I advise you to grab an amount which you feel is prudent and give it a test drive....throw it, hand build it, whatever you are doing and test, test, test! Just a side thought, as prices keep rising, Ky Mudworks also have their own line of glazes of which I have tried several with pleasing results.  Good luck, have fun, and test, test, test!

4 hours ago, Kellykopp said:

Hello Roberta, I have used both of them. I like the Ice Man more than the White Bear myself for throwing on the wheel...it has more strength. They both fire white, the Bear more than the Ice Man, but remember the White Bear vitrifies closer to cone 7.  They are both what I would consider clays that are not too groggy, but take care as Ky Mudworks does manufacture 2 varieties of the Ice Man...one with grog and the other regular.  They both take glazes well. I live in Southeast Indiana, and was going to grab some from a supplier in Cincinnati yesterday (while I was in the city for other things) and they were out of the Ice Man (supply problems of course). I may have to make a "road trip" to Lexington Ky to re-supply. This is just my personal opinion, as your hands are different than mine, I advise you to grab an amount which you feel is prudent and give it a test drive....throw it, hand build it, whatever you are doing and test, test, test! Just a side thought, as prices keep rising, Ky Mudworks also have their own line of glazes of which I have tried several with pleasing results.  Good luck, have fun, and test, test, test!

Thanks Kelly. That was what I was looking for.  My supply house will sell clay by the bag, so I am hoping to just try a couple of the clays.  

Thank you