help with manual Duncan Studio Plus Kiln (Model Lt-3k)

wpbutz

hi everyone, completely new to kilns here but experienced with clay. my partner got this kiln for me a couple months ago used from an art teacher, in great shape. I have finally got around to get it out of our external garage where it was stored with a bunch of other things into our attached garage. i probably won't get to use it for a while still as I still need an electrician to get it set up but in the meantime I wanted to get it cleaned up a little bit. somehow moisture got into the kiln and mold grew on the bottom with the manual. luckily I have the shelves and posts in a separate area so those are alright. I disposed of the manual and found a complete scan of one online so that isn't a problem. I just wasn't sure how to clean the inside of the kiln and get the remaining mold out and was hoping to get some insight. I know this shouldn't have ever happened but unfortunately life got to me the past couple months but I'm ready to start my ceramics career. any advice with using this manual kiln would be helpful too as the instructions are quite overwhelming. sorry for the long post!

02EB4FF0-B9DF-49DA-BFBF-F1E7194CCB7C-converted-compressed.pdf

• wpbutz changed the title to help with manual Duncan Studio Plus Kiln (Model Lt-3k)

Picture of the inside would help as well as a picture of the equipment tag, model, serial, etc…. It will  likely generate useful observations here. Easiest way to thoroughly clean the inside probably is to fire it.  It’s typical to vacuum all the dust / dirt then run something like  a bisque fire. A picture would reveal if that plan is possible.

there is a related kiln called the teacher plus.   lots of questions about that one because of the labels on the switch positions.   does your manual explain why they use the term "automatic" and what it means on the switch plate?   in addition, what words are on that pink oval that might help in understanding whatever it is about.   i remember several new owners who were unable to find a manual for it, maybe yours is sufficient for them to figure out the differences.

the Lt3k is an identifier on just the shutoff device, a kiln sitter, like a baby sitter, not a setter.

18 minutes ago, oldlady said:

there is a related kiln called the teacher plus.   lots of questions about that one because of the labels on the switch positions.   does your manual explain why they use the term "automatic" and what it means on the switch plate?   in addition, what words are on that pink oval that might help in understanding whatever it is about.   i remember several new owners who were unable to find a manual for it, maybe yours is sufficient for them to figure out the differences.

the Lt3k is an identifier on just the shutoff device, a kiln sitter, like a baby sitter, not a setter.

hi! I was reading a familiar thread with lots of questions on those switches earlier. unfortunately I had to throw away my manual as it was covered in mold. :( I did find a manual online though, here is the link. https://216.198.210.227/files/manuals/LX_914_Duncan_Kiln_Owners_Manual.pdf

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Picture of the inside would help as well as a picture of the equipment tag, model, serial, etc…. It will  likely generate useful observations here. Easiest way to thoroughly clean the inside probably is to fire it.  It’s typical to vacuum all the dust / dirt then run something like  a bisque fire. A picture would reveal if that plan is possible.

sure thing! here is the kiln info as well as a picture of the inside. I know it looks awful haha.  thanks for the advice!

IMG_7366-compressed 2.JPG

IMG_7369-compressed 2.JPG

if your manual is still on the premises, maybe wiping each page with a cloth dampened with bleach will remove mold and allow you to read it.  a good use for rubber gloves, too.   apparently it is a valuable document.

what does the pink oval say?

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

if your manual is still on the premises, maybe wiping each page with a cloth dampened with bleach will remove mold and allow you to read it.  a good use for rubber gloves, too.   apparently it is a valuable document.

what does the pink oval say?

it says "adjust kiln-sitter & remove firing gauge before firing. see O------- Manual for instructions" the word starting with O is scratched out.

Archived