Repurposing forms

I have been making coffee lately while my wife is dealing with a broken arm. We usually make coffee in the morning for a 12 cup pot using bags of coffee we like. The other day I was making coffee from a bag that was mostly used up, and finding it hard to scoop. Near the coffee maker next to the range was a spoon rest that my wife keeps the spoon for scooping coffee. I thought why not, and poured the coffee into the spoon rest. . . scooping the coffee out. When done, I found that the lip on the spoon rest was perfect for pouring the coffee back into the bag. If I were to be selling spoon rests now days, I would also list them as coffee making aids, or some other fancy term!

Have you ever repurposed a form for something completely different that would make better sales?

best,

Pres

lots of customers tell me what they are going to do with things i thought had a totally different purpose.   i save some seconds and find i use what i sell as a cracker tray as a corn on the cob dish.    my butterdish becomes an eyeglass holder for buyers and the strangest one was a large tray, about 6x11 or so that was going to be (of all things!) a spoonrest.   the buyer was a chef and needed space for more than one utensil.   flat rounds become "saucers" for wide mugs.   i do not make mugs.

a long tray is someone's bathroom hair thingys holder so they do not scatter all over.   i am glad they have so many purposes.

I sell over a thousand spoon rests every year (185 last weekend). Folks use them for all kinds of things. From ashtrays to skeet. I just put out piles of them on pedistals with some spoons and still they ask what they are for. No one reads signs much these days 

same is true with my sponge holders -from business card holders to silverware keepers.

Right now just getting pots in front of customers makes for super sales. They come up with crazy ideas on use-some I know will not work but heck let them try.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya it’s kinda funny to find out how people use things…as well as people that ask “can I use this for xyz”. Why yes you can use it for whatever you’d like! Speaking of spoon holders I too sell a ton and it’s interesting how much wooden spoon props do for sales by showing their intent.

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ya it’s kinda funny to find out how people use things…as well as people that ask “can I use this for xyz”. Why yes you can use it for whatever you’d like! Speaking of spoon holders I too sell a ton and it’s interesting how much wooden spoon props do for sales by showing their intent.

Without the wood spoon they wonder what the heck are these?

I had someone buy one of my “dishies” as a hearing aid holder for next to his bed. I don’t make spoon rests, exactly, because I don’t put the little spout on them. They’re just little round saucers, about 4” across that can be used for more than just spoons. I try to keep them multi purpose, because people do come up with their own uses for stuff.

I don’t want to share my weirdest “off label” use story, because it was kind of gross. 

Archived