How do you remove a wide bowl from the wheel head without ruining it?

Beebop

On 10/12/2021 at 7:19 AM, Pyewackette said:

@Beebop

Somewhere in boxes are my good hydrostone bats.  I loved them.  I hope to be loving them again soon-ish.  I believe you can buy the stuff to make hydrostone and make your own as well.

They will not warp and they don't have some of the problems of plaster bats.  I THINK they are also lighter weight than plaster bats but I could be mis-remembering.

yes these are temping. do you find that the hydrobats dry out the bottoms more quickly or so you take them off the bats while drying? i just read online that you don’t have to cut pots off they release natually while drying on hydrobats. i live in a desert, things dry so fast here i’m wondering if this would work for me or not. thanks! 

19 minutes ago, Beebop said:

yes these are temping. do you find that the hydrobats dry out the bottoms more quickly or so you take them off the bats while drying? i just read online that you don’t have to cut pots off they release natually while drying on hydrobats. i live in a desert, things dry so fast here i’m wondering if this would work for me or not. thanks! 

It's been at least 8 years since last I saw them, and I'm seriously hoping not to find broken bits when and if I finally find the box they are in - but when I had them I was in N. Carolina where it is humid.  I don't remember any issues with over-drying in that climate.  I know that with hardibacker, which I used as ware boards, dampening them prior to use was a Good Idea for the reason you mention, but I'm not sure about the hydrostone.  I know from dry - I just left a place that was so freakin' dry that my ears would occasionally bleed, and I would hang a damp towel over my head to counteract extreme dry-eye.  Where I am now is only semi-dry.  I only have to hang wet towels on the fan sometimes, LOL!  

Oh and I still wired off the bat.  I was planning to get or make some hydrostone ware boards but since then I've settled on hardibacker for that and for my clay table (when I get it built).  I was in a studio situation back then and couldn't wait for it to naturally pop off the bat, unless I wanted to hog shelf space and risk my bats growing legs.  I was only up to 8 to 10 lbs of clay back then.  I have yet to get back to 5 lbs this go-round.  I wasn't really throwing anything big enough even back then to warrant leaving a single item on the whole bat, even if I hadn't been wary of it walking off.

There have got to be people on here who have way more experience with them than I have, but I do remember I liked the one(s?) I had.  A lot.  I'm still working on re-remembering how to tap center at this point.  *sigh*

I should probably buy a couple, in case my originals are permanently lost or broken.  You can't really have too many bats - or at least I couldn't afford to buy so many that I'd have too many.

EDIT:  I haven't given up on trying to make drop-in hardibacker thingies for my (I think) Northstar bats that had removable ware board centers, but I don't know where those bats are either and they may be warped by now even if I ever do find them - so I really ought to be getting serious about getting some bats.  I don't think the Northstar system is made any more - if it is, I had the other brand that isn't made any more.

Archived