Adding Mason Stains To My Premixed Clear Cone 5 Glaze

Karen Rycheck

Is this "Laguna MS-29 Clear Bright Glaze",? If so in
https://www.axner.com/lagunams-29clearbrightglazedrysoldperlb.aspx
points to Laguna's general dry glaze mixing instructions in
https://4e1a0199-e3cb-4bc6-9d1a-f62c39960aec.filesusr.com/ugd/e5330f_6bae0b4596374aa7960ca367393ac0db.pdf 

Where it says
Approximately 8 to 11 ounces of water per pound of dry glaze will be needed, but the amount needed varies per glaze.
For specific recommendations on how much water to add call 1-800-4Laguna

I make that a ballpark of 9.5 oz water to 16 oz dry-glaze. So there are 100gm of dry-glaze in 100*(16+9.5)/16 gm of made-up glaze (~160gm).

Can someone do a sanity check on the figures.

37 minutes ago, PeterH said:

Is this "Laguna MS-29 Clear Bright Glaze",? If so in
https://www.axner.com/lagunams-29clearbrightglazedrysoldperlb.aspx
points to Laguna's general dry glaze mixing instructions in
https://4e1a0199-e3cb-4bc6-9d1a-f62c39960aec.filesusr.com/ugd/e5330f_6bae0b4596374aa7960ca367393ac0db.pdf 

Where it says
Approximately 8 to 11 ounces of water per pound of dry glaze will be needed, but the amount needed varies per glaze.
For specific recommendations on how much water to add call 1-800-4Laguna

I make that a ballpark of 9.5 oz water to 16 oz dry-glaze. So there are 100gm of dry-glaze in 100*(16+9.5)/16 gm of made-up glaze (~160gm).

Can someone do a sanity check on the figures.

So yes,  Laguna Clear Bright! And I got totally lost on your figures.  My brain doesn’t like numbers at all.  
 Thank you!

If you go by the general glaze mixing directions that Peter linked the ballpark figure of 9.5 fluid oz of water to 1 pound of glaze might be too little water. When I used this glaze it was more like a 1:1 ratio. @Karen Rycheck, could you measure the specific gravity of your glaze slop? From this link it should be between 1.42 and 1.45 for dipping, if we can determine that then it's more likely you have the 1:1 ratio of glaze to water rather than the ballpark amount of a 1 to 0.6 ratio from Peters link. If the specific gravity is a fair bit higher it would indicate more along the lines of Peters figures. Would make a difference to the amount of stain needed. 

If all else fails there is always the Brongniart formula .

Welcome to the forum.

@Karen Rycheck How would I figure out quantity of stain to add

I think for a quick reasonable approximation and assuming the solution of glaze materials and water does not significantly change the unit volume, (which I think is reasonable). I would measure out 100 ml of the mixed glaze and weigh it. Knowing 100 ml of water weighs 100 grams the remaining weight would be that of the glaze materials. So let’s say it weighs 150 grams.

Then a reasonable approximation would likely be 50 grams of glaze material is in that size sample. So scaling up, for every 200 ml of mixed glaze add 10g of your colorant to get close to the desired 10g of glaze to 100 g of glaze material.

Test and see if you like the color. My thought is this is pretty simple and maybe more accurate than approximating what might have been added as water when the glaze was made. I think that’s workable………… anyone see a glaring issue with this?

@Bill Kielb, problem with subtracting the weight of the water from the weight of the glaze slurry to calculate the amount of solids in the slurry is it doesn't take into account the specific gravity of the solids in the glaze slurry.  SG of water being 1 whereas the SG of typical glaze materials are typically averaged out to 2.5 or 2.6   For 100ml size sample the difference might not seem huge but multiply that out for a 10kg / 5 gallon bucket of glaze and it would be.  Brongniart factored the SG of glaze materials into the equation.

Thanks everyone! Super helpful tips, and I have so much to learn. Firstly, I winged it because I had nothing to measure the SG of theslip with  - and added 10mg of stain to 16 oz of glaze slop. I just got my electric installed for my new (used) kiln yesterday, so will test what I did. There will be no waste. I ‘ll make it work. Luckily I learned my lesson and won’t be repeating this error! For now though, I’m curious how to get a new 50# sack of dry glaze from Laguna. Do they do direct orders anymorE I wonder.? And how did I manage to get this bag in the first place? It’s been so long since I bought it I can’t remember!! LOL 

Archived