Matt clear over underglaze

Gin

Good morning… looking to achieve a matt glaze finish over my underglaze washes.

Is there a cone 6 matt glaze recipe that works best over underglaze for both white and dark clays ? Recommendations on what is the best specific gravity for a matt clear so it does not cloud the UG? 
I appreciate your assistance

I am not aware of a single matte glaze that functions perfectly for light, dark, your underglaze practice, your firing …….. in other words most folks have to test for their specific use. You can try this https://glazy.org/recipes/19734

it works on our porcelain. As far as SG it’s traditional to apply clear glazes  as thin and even as practical to minimize any diffraction / distortion so a thinner mix is often the case. Again your dipping practices, what you bisque to all affect how thin and evenly you can dip.

@Gin, if you give the recipe Bill linked a try could you come back here and let us know how it worked for you? Reason I ask is when I tested Marcia's Matte it came out very dry, underfired feeling, cutlery marked and stained very easily when I tested it. X1 test was one dip, test in the middle is two dips and third test is Marcias's Matte over Amaco Black underglaze. Sumi ink brushed on the first two then rinsed off. 2nd and 3rd tests gently rubbed with a spoon. It would be good to hear of results if someone else tests this glaze.

image.png.be0b26a3be4caa4e736b29c1a9417b0c.png

32 minutes ago, Gin said:

Thank you for the quick responses. I will give it a try and post results… 

There are many glaze options, careful as @Min mentioned this was a total failure when she tried this  and yet there are some five star reviews and extensive tests from some Glazy users for this very recipe. Glaze recipes results can  vary and often don’t travel well. You may need to test several using your chems and mixing practices, clay and firing. Another example Supporting there is no magic single answer glaze recipe.

Archived