Help replacing Hobbytech 40 Energy Regulator

Graham G

Hi, I've recently acquired a Hobbytech 40 kiln and on the first firing found it was slow getting to temperature. On inspection I found a corroded wire connected to the energy regulator which is also badly corroded. The part is a Diamond H 30ER1TF energy regulator. I think it's also known as a simmerstat. Can anyone advise what part would replace this as it is no longer available? Cromartie have a replacement part but it is out of stock.

IMG_20210919_131142.jpg

Is the energy regulator failed or just the gnarly connection? It might be that the cover of the regulator looks ugly but it works inside. Try pulling that connection apart, clean up the tab on the regulator, and cut the connecting wire back to good wire and put a new connector on the wire. You will need to fix that wire no matter if you get a new regulator or not. But that may be enough to get it working again.

Thanks Dick. I was able to complete a cone 04 firing. It just took a couple of hours longer than expected, so I wouldn't say the energy regulator actually failed. The firing schedule was 100 C /Hr to 600 C then FULL to 1060 C and hold for 10 minutes. So I expected it to take about 8 hours to complete. It was nearer 10 hours 15 minutes.

There is corrosion inside the energy regulator as well as on the tabs which is why I was thinking about replacing it.  Although the copper part looks fine. I will try cleaning it up tomorrow and replace the connector as you suggested.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how I get on.

The energy regulator is also known as a simmerstat, as you've noted, but also called an infinite switch (because there are an infinite number of heating rates depending on where you point the knob, compared to other switches that are on-off or low-medium-high). It is a common switch type in kilns, so you might be able to use one from a different brand of kiln. Also, this type of switch is commonly used in kitchen electric stoves. Perhaps an appliance repair shop has something comparable.

5 hours ago, Graham G said:

Can anyone advise what part would replace this as it is no longer available? Cromartie have a replacement part but it is out of stock.

A suitable replacement would be an infinite switch, same as made for electric stoves. If it gets to that point post your kiln schematic and a suitable replacement can be found. Getting the replacement from Cromartie would be best and easiest. If they publish the replacement part manufactures number other sources can likely be found as well. I doubt Cromartie makes their own.

Those types of switches have significant moving parts inside, so I would plan on replacing that one sooner than later as  it looks fairly overheated and annealed  by the heat IMO. Definitely replace the burned wiring or cut it back significantly to very nice shiny new looking wire.

Archived