Historical Inspiration | July 30, 2012

Does your work flow from a particular period of ceramic history?

For example, when I give my students assignments, I usually show them images which

associate the work with a particular period in ceramic history. For example, when we make big pots,

we first look at Guan, from Kansu, China, and Jomon from Japan (both about 3500 B.C.)

The historical information seems to enrich their approach to both form and surface.

Does it do the same for you??

I taught high school fine arts for years. I used a historic approach with visual aids as a teaching tool for most media. In ceramics class I always asked the students to study the shapes, colors and styles of decoration of a culture and then to put their own 'twist' on their project.

I belong to a historical medieval/renaissance recreation group. At the present time I am making 11-14th century English styled pottery to use and to show. There are a lot of books on medieval pottery and the internet is great for viewing museum collections. Archeological reports made to various English archeological societies have been particularly helpful because of the cross sectioned drawings and clay/glaze information. I enjoy the history and the research and love putting it into my pots.

Does your work flow from a particular period of ceramic history?

For example, when I give my students assignments, I usually show them images which

associate the work with a particular period in ceramic history. For example, when we make big pots,

we first look at Guan, from Kansu, China, and Jomon from Japan (both about 3500 B.C.)

The historical information seems to enrich their approach to both form and surface.

Does it do the same for you??

I enjoy the more primitive work of Minoans and Anazasi both of them influence my work or sometimes drift together. They were both based on nature which is where I get my inspirations from, I try more contemporary design now and then, but everyone is drawn to my organic work. Denice

I think having a broad knowledge of what has passed before you, can greatly influence one's work and expand one's "palette".

I have a friend making contemporary political commentary utilizing imagery of Moche pieces from Peru. Sometimes you can see it in shows at NCECA.

Some of my work has been influenced by the Romanesque imagery on churches and I spent years researching the source of the meaning.

post-1954-13444292705_thumb.jpg

post-1954-13444292705_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived