Jump to content

Looking for an old glaze called Butternut, a commercial glaze (not sure, but I believed from Laguna who said they never had one). It was a buttery gold with black specks, and our studio used it 20+ years ago. Does anyone remember this glaze?


Recommended Posts

Hi Carmela and welcome to the forum!

11 minutes ago, Carmela said:

Not sure what I need to put here.

The title is what you entered first then in the body of the post (where you wrote "Not sure what I need to put here.") is where your comment or questions would go. It's fine as it is but if you want to edit it that would be fine too. If you need help or have questions with editing just ask myself or any of the mods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am finding Duncan Concepts butternut in several shades; several suppliers have stock - I'm not sure if Mayco is continuing the line.

There are several buttery recipes; see "Buttercup Yellow" adaptation of Britt's "Gumpler" in glazy, for example.

Please indicate temperature, electric/oxidation or gas/reduction, and an image?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just mixed a glaze called Butterscotch of which I am quickly becoming a fan.  I have used it on speckled white, speckled buff, porcelain, and a dark brown clay.  Is performing well so far.  I fire to cone 6.  And actually just fired a load of cone 5 and used the butterscotch.  

Let me know if you want the recipe.

Roberta

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Carmela,

You can make a Butternut glaze by starting with a satin matte white base and adding yellow ochre and Illmenite.  A little Illmenite goes a long ways. 

The amount of ochre depends on how yellow you want the result.  The Illmenite is for speckled.  You can omit if you are using a speckle clay or just want the colour.  Do a line blend 1,2,3,5,8 % to see how far to take it.  

Make your 1 &2 % tests, dip each one, combine equal amounts to make 3% and dip, make a 5%, dip and combine equal amounts of 3&5 to make 8%

Have fun and keep notes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.