Sitter Kiln help.

Readytopot

I’ve picked up a second hand Dawson sitter kiln with timer. Cromertie h40 ct-3K 

excited doesn’t begin to describe! 

I tried a short test fire on timer for two hours with an 06cone bar as per manual. so the cone didn’t trigger - I guess it takes way longer but the timer didn’t shut off the kiln. I took out plug (domestic 3 pin) at wall  and it was very warm. 
Any advice greatly appreciated regards repair to timer and schedules to follow to test fire and bisque and glaze fire. In fact any advice at all as never owned a kiln before and hoping for stoneware hobby. 

thanks!

2B216F95-4EEF-4192-B5BF-463DE55B6CD9.jpeg

19138A50-A965-46C6-B221-5A2101A96FB6.jpeg

A929C82B-3BC6-439F-8A36-79FE34E78F49.jpeg

The timer has nothing to do with how long a firing takes to get to temperature. It's a backup to the cone system and should be set for approximately 30 minutes longer than you expect the firing to take. So you'll have to do a firing with the timer set at like 10 hours, then see how much time is left on the timer once the cone shuts it off. Always use the same turnup schedule so your firing is always the same. A typical turnup schedule is one hour on low, one hour on medium, then high until it's done.

Did the timer move at all? You can usually hear them making some noise if they're working. If you turn the dial to zero manually will it kick off the power button? If so, then it's set up properly. If it got to zero on your test firing but didn't trip the power switch then you may just need to lube and clean things. A little WD-40 on the system will usually get things working. Spray it on the backside and then engage and disengage the power button over and over to get things moving. HERE is a manual with an exploded view of the parts.

5 hours ago, Readytopot said:

I took out plug (domestic 3 pin) at wall  and it was very warm. 

Never a good sign if the plug begins to warm, especially very warm. Usually indicates the plug / receptacle connection is wearing or the wiring to the plug is undersized or a connection is beginning to fail or the wiring to the receptacle is undersized or a bad connection. In other words, there is a reason that the wires are getting very warm which definitely deserves attention to make sure all connections are good, wire size is appropriate and any circuit protection device is sized correctly to protect the circuit and ultimately against the risk of a fire.

Archived