UK supplier of glaze samples + Glaze Course

@Surtsey had a bit of a mix up with posting so after PM'ing her I'm going ahead and retitling this thread and consolidate it with another she had which I've quoted below.

Is there a website where I can order sample pots of glazes? Or a course in the UK you can recommend that focuses on glazing? Im new to ceramics and I'm not sure what glazes to buy for my work.  Thanks, E

Edited by Min
written twice + edit by Min

Most of the commercial glaze companies have pictures and layering instructions which give an idea, so maybe that is a first place to look. Glazy.org is a free website where folks contribute from around the world, many have pictures of the fired result. There are other websites and of course folks like John Britt have published books, recipes and pictures. Not all glazes work out as pictured though as application, claybody and firing can affect the end result.

Amaco / Mayco website: https://www.amaco.com/t/glazes-and-underglazes

Glazy website: https://glazy.org/

There are many others sites and resources but seeing the result pictured before buying and then only buying enough to test could be a good start for you.

Edited by Bill Kielb

What Bill mentioned is definitely important to keep in mind:

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Not all glazes work out as pictured though as application, claybody and firing can affect the end result.

When you're looking at pictures of glazes, or sample pieces on display in a pottery supply shop, be sure to note the type and color of clay used for the sample piece.   For example: Many of the layering examples on Amaco's site are done with a light colored buff stoneware - and will not look the same on a different color or type of clay. 

What firing range are you working with ?  I've seen a lot of under-glazes in small jars, and some low-fire glazes - but if you're doing mid-fire (^5-^6) range, you'll probably have a hard time finding containers smaller than a pint.  (At-least it's that way in the US.  Could be different where you are.)

Might be worth checking around your area for a studio or community center that offers 'open sessions', where you could have access to an assortment of glazes  to try, without buying full jars of them.

• Min changed the title to UK supplier of glaze samples + Glaze Course
On 9/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, Surtsey said:

Is there a website where I can order sample pots of glazes? Or a course in the UK you can recommend that focuses on glazing? Im new to ceramics and I'm not sure what glazes to buy for my work.  Thanks, E

Most pottery suppliers carry commercial glazes as well as there own. Google is your friend in this case, there are several for sure and they likely carry the major commercially made glazes such as Amaco, Mayco, Duncan, spectrum…….  You really should determine what cone you want to work at, and have a reason why which will make you learn the pluses and minuses of their use.

Scarva website

https://www.scarva.com/en/us/Home.aspx

Edited by Bill Kielb