Broken Bricks in top of Kiln Lid

TanyaW

During our move across country, the movers placed a heavy item on top of my Paragon SnF kiln which ultimately broke some chunks off the bricks on the lid and created a huge crack all the way through the lid (bricks inside the lid are now very loose) my questions are:  Is this fixable?  Is there something I can use to fill in the broken areas on the lid and seal/fix the crack? Or… can I get new bricks to rebuild the lid? Or… can I and/or should I buy a new lid for it? Just hoping to get some advice… I’m honestly not sure what to do. Thanks for your ideas or suggestions. Tanya

It's not fixable if it's cracked all the way through. Mortar won't hold it. I'd first try to file a damage claim with the moving company and have them buy you a new lid. I have done kiln repair work for moving companies several times. If they won't pay for it, then you can either buy a new lid yourself, or swap the lid and floor and put a piece of sheet metal under the floor (former lid) to support it.

Ok, thank you for the info. I didn’t realize the damage until a little over a month after we moved in, so I’m sure it’s too late to file a claim. Would you happen to know about how much a new lid would be and where I might be able to get one? 

9 hours ago, TanyaW said:

Ok, thank you for the info. I didn’t realize the damage until a little over a month after we moved in, so I’m sure it’s too late to file a claim. Would you happen to know about how much a new lid would be and where I might be able to get one? 

You can get a new lid from Paragon, or any other kiln manufacturer that makes a lid of the same size. Most kilns are standard sizes. A lid usually runs $300-$450 depending on the size, plus freight charges of $100-$200. Your other option is to find a cheap used kiln in your area and use the lid or floor from that.

Archived