Information about ceramic chalks needed- Carol Newhart

• Min changed the title to Information about ceramic chalks needed- Carol Newhart
  • 4 weeks later...

@CarolNewhart, I have used artists' pastels on bisqueware. It's hard to control for a detailed application because it's just a powder on the brush--you can't be precise. The picture is a bisque unicorn ornament, work still in progress, so please don't judge! :) I used Mungyo soft pastels (only medium softness compared to high quality, truly soft pastels) because they're cheap (64 colors for about $10 on Amazon) and I'm experimenting. My mother used this technique a lot, but this is my first try. I just rubbed a small stiff brush across the pastel stick till I got some powder to adhere and then brushed it on the bisque. It gives a soft, muted finish, as you can see from the picture, so it's not a technique that will produce bright or dark colors. I used the corner of the black stick to start the pupil of the eye, but haven't finished the eyes yet. This is bare bisque, not sealed or primed. I will seal it once I'm done with the color, and then antique it gently to bring out detail and seal again. Hope this helps.924578873_Pastelunicorn.jpg.13c92e44cc98c729f3535dcc7ab9c7d8.jpg

Archived