Newbie here who just bought a used kiln with cracks

I just bought a used kiln. As far as I know it’s in decent shape for it’s age. The downfall is that the bottom has many cracks that go all the way through! The band on it holding it together is rigged, holding it together with wire. I’m assuming that as long as the band is tight there isn’t any way for the bottom to give out and collapse, or maybe it will I don’t know. The bricks are pretty fragile and flake off so I don’t want to mess around with it to much.  I’m new to kilns and maybe just over thinking. Should I replace the bottom? Is it safe to have cracks that go all the way through the bottom? If anyone has any feed back please let me know anything helps. I’ll post photos later when I can. 

Pictures would be worth a thousand words here. Some cracks are okay, some will be structural. 

I would suggest that if they’re hairline and everything is still fitting together really tightly, it could be easily supported with a piece of sheet metal underneath. But if they’re worse, that could spell problems. Is the lid in similar shape?

those cracks do not look as serious as you think they are.   if you put a piece of sheet metal underneath the kiln to prevent anything falling out of the cracks and use a full shelf on half inch posts inside the kiln, you should have no major problems.   the full shelf, covered with a good kiln wash will take the punishment that a new user might inadvertently cause by using runny glazes.  shelves are expensive but not anything compared to a new bottom.  always protect the bottom from glaze spills and running.  they can eat real holes in the brick.

someone else will tell you what to do about the metal bands.  never saw a bottom brick pattern like that one, what brand and size is your kiln?

Thats good news!

It looks like the pervious owner put a layer of what I hope is kiln cement on the bottom to cover the cracks. When moving it all the cracks where exposed again. As far as those busted bands I'm going to replace them, it will make me feel more at ease. Its an old manual Skutt Model-k 1027-240. 

Looks like kiln wash on the floor, not cement. The welds that hold the clamps have popped off, so you can either replace the whole strap or use rivets or sheet metal screws to reattach them. If the floor is holding together okay, then just leave it as is. If the pieces are loose, then put a piece of sheet metal under it to support it.

Archived