Transporting Boxed Clay - Dumb question of the week ...

So I'm getting ready to move and due to U-Haul trickery, we're doing it in a van instead of in pods.  It's a 3 day drive and a lot of it is downhill, but fortunately thanks to bike trail mapping software, I did manage to convince my son that going through CA (and up over Mt. Whitney, the highest point in CA, not to mention going through Death Valley) would NOT be better than driving along Rt 95 past Walker Lake.  For some reason that particular leg of the trip freaked my DIL out.

So part of this - given that I'm moving into a white-clays only region - is a stop in Albuquerque for several hundred pounds of colored clay bodies.

What I failed to take into account is how much space needs to be left in the van for the clay.

So ... finally ... here is my dumb question:

How much space does 100 lbs of pugged, bagged, commercial clay take up?  I've ordered 700 or 800 lbs (my total is less than theirs so there's something extra on there I've forgotten about or they made some other mistake, can't find out 'til Monday).

It will be going on to a 20' U-haul truck.  WHERE to place that might be an issue as well.  Would saving a corner be OK or would it need to be more evenly distributed somehow?  Normally loading the truck I'd have put it all the way at the front of the truck right behind the cab but that won't be possible this go-round LOL!

Hi Pye!

Watch that left turn at Albuquerque.

Clay Planet and Aardvark clay ship two bags (fifty pounds) in USPS large box, 12"x12"x5.5" - they smoosh them a bit to fit, but fit they do*. 

Where to put it, that's a good point. If you place it IN the cab, place so it less likely to be a hazard, if, eh?

At the back end, just inside the roll up door would seem both the easiest and worst place. You might plan for an easily movable pathway. Where the weight is fore/aft (and side/side), and that it's well braced against braking force may be considerations. Acceleration may be less of a consideration, but not to be ignored.

Hope your trip goes well! While you're at the clay supply, anything else? Glaze ingredients, tools ('specially heavy stuff)?

*Mail person appreciates a hand with them boxes - leave a note the day afore, meet 'm with the hand truck day of, etc.

In theory the weight should be just ahead of the rear axel, as low as possible and spread across the truck floor, not stacked up. 

Have a safe trip!

edit: @Pyewackette, I took the liberty of editing the title of this thread by including "Transporting Boxed Clay"and moving it to the Studio Operations section.

Edited by Min

• Min changed the title to Transporting Boxed Clay - Dumb question of the week ...

As @Min and @Hulk says, to add one more point make certain to place rows tight on the floor between the wheel wells and walls. This will prevent shifting at the floor while traveling around those mountain roads and curves. Load shift is problem when carrying boxed heavy material.

best,

Pres

20 hours ago, Min said:

In theory the weight should be just ahead of the rear axel, as low as possible and spread across the truck floor, not stacked up. 

Yep. Spread the load. Loading heavy in none specific spot in any vehicle can make vehicle handling dangerous; for you and for us.

Story from my youth; I worked for a feed store driving a truck with a 40' van behind it delivering feed, fertilizer, etc. The store owner told the crew to load 10 tons of basic slag in a stack in the middle of the van, between the axle and the king pin. As I pulled out of the parking lot into the street the bottom of the van broke out, dumped the entire load and all the bags burst. 10 tons of shovel work ensued.