less info fields - Forum update

Hulk

I would like them back, particularly the configurable one - mine read "Tom" - which be my actual real given name.

The positive reaction count, meh, I don't care as much 'bout that, still, bring that back too.

While you're at it I can't find a forum link anywhere anymore.  I had to google "ceramic arts daily forum" to find it again.  Also I can no longer just click on the forums to get back to the forums, when you are reading a particular post it only shows the forum that post was in at the top so you have to click that, then click a SECOND time to get back to the main forum listing.  Why remove capability?

I too want the notifications to appear again at the top, and having it tell me it knows who I am right there where I can see it also makes it VERY clear that I am actually logged in (or not) without having to go hunting.

I was very glad to discover they had removed the downvoting capability and removed the limit (I think it was only 4) on upvotes per day.  But of the things I've NOTICED that have changed this time, I wish they would un-change them.

We are still working through the changes with the recent update which included more than the routine maintenance the updates usually have. Admin is able to disable some of the new features but not all of them. 

2 hours ago, Pyewackette said:

While you're at it I can't find a forum link anywhere anymore.

What link did you use previously?

Also I can no longer just click on the forums to get back to the forums, when you are reading a particular post it only shows the forum that post was in at the top so you have to click that, then click a SECOND time to get back to the main forum listing. 

I clicked on "Forums" on the upper left corner and it takes me back to the home page from any of the sections. I'm using an iPad and Mac, perhaps the function is different depending on what device you are using. Are you having this issue using a phone, pc or tablet?

I too want the notifications to appear again at the top, and having it tell me it knows who I am right there where I can see it also makes it VERY clear that I am actually logged in (or not) without having to go hunting.

Hmmm, this is strange as again I'm not having this issue. I logged in and out to check and when logged in it does say "Min" with my avatar, no change from prior to the upgrade.

I was very glad to discover they had removed the downvoting capability and removed the limit...

Previous to the upgrade a member could remove a "like" they had given another member but a negative reaction hasn't been available for many years. 

Let us know if my comments and suggestions aren't working with the device you are using on the forum.

• Min changed the title to less info fields - Forum update
3 minutes ago, Min said:

We are still working through the changes with the recent update which included more than the routine maintenance the updates usually have. Admin is able to disable some of the new features but not all of them. 

What link did you use previously?

There was a link at the top of ceramicartsdaily.org or com or whatever it was that simply said "community".  It was located with other links along the top.  Those links no longer appear at all when in the forums, not sure if they ever did, but definitely gone from there now, and "community" text link is also missing from the home page wherever that has gone.

Autocomplete used to deal with it for me but it now redirects to ceramicartsnetwork.whatever, where I cannot find a forum link, at least not in English.  It may be attached to a graphic somewhere but in any case - not where it used to be.

I actually just went and clicked every single text link on the new home page and it turns out "community" now lives under "freebies" - a totally meaningless text label - and is now no longer "communities" but "forums".  So not only was it moved, it was moved OUT OF SIGHT and had the name changed.  A double whammy and poor design choice.  I did hover over those links upon finding the changed site, but I was looking for "Communities" since that has been the name used for the forum since the beginning, I'm pretty sure.  At least since I've been a member.

This is, btw, my SECOND account.  I lost access to the first one after a move.  Forgot to change the email address and since I typically lurked, didn't notice until too late to retrieve my login.

3 minutes ago, Min said:

I clicked on "Forums" on the upper left corner and it takes me back to the home page from any of the sections. I'm using an iPad and Mac, perhaps the function is different depending on what device you are using. Are you having this issue using a phone, pc or tablet?

I am using a Windows PC.  That logo in the upper left corner - does apparently now take you to the forums.  But its not where I used to find that link at all, and inside the forums I only ever had to click on a text link that made it quite clear where I was headed.  You know, the typical

Forums > Specific forum > Specific subforum

type of text link.  For one thing, text links are SEARCHABLE.  So if you ever forget where a text link is living on a page - you know, because of the millions of pages out there, they don't all always put every kind of link in the same place - you can search on it and find it.  You can't search for a logo.

Since these forums are only 2 deep I'm sure some tech-head somewhere thought it was totally immaterial to replace these links.  I was a software engineer who specialized in human interface design.  Clicking on logos to get around may be cool but commonly used text links are still better, easier to find, and there is no reason to eliminate them, especially not when they were longstanding.

3 minutes ago, Min said:

Hmmm, this is strange as again I'm not having this issue. I logged in and out to check and when logged in it does say "Min" with my avatar, no change from prior to the upgrade.

I have attached a screen capture of the current look of my browser, with me logged in.  There is nothing anywhere that indicates that I am logged in.  No notification bell or letter.  Nothing.  Some weird little icons that have something to do with streaming an RSS feed - for dog's sake, who still does that.  It is certainly not one of the main tasks that I personally would do, seems more useful for it to be in the dropdown, but whatever.  I don't even know what the PLUS sign is for.  I did click on it and its another thing I will never ever use and promptly forgot.  I will never ever use either of those two links, and I keep clicking on them by accident - because muscle memory, they are where my notification links used to be.  Extremely annoying and of minimal use.  I'm using Chrome.

3 minutes ago, Min said:

Previous to the upgrade a member could remove a "like" they had given another member but a negative reaction hasn't been available for many years. 

I have been a member for many many years.  I lurked for most of that time because I got fed up with the down voting, and the fact that you were limited to like 4 up votes daily.  There was a spate of unkindness and only having 4 up votes per day to counteract the meanness towards some people - well I just got tired of the mean.

3 minutes ago, Min said:

Let us know if my comments and suggestions aren't working with the device you are using on the forum.

CeramicArtsNetworkOrg.jpg

New Forum Format.jpg

@PyewacketteI’ll just copy and paste my response here, because it’s the only info not on this thread yet, and I’ll delete the other.

I saw that you already found the other thread that discusses the software update, so I’ll try not to duplicate answers that are already there. Ceramic Arts Network is technically the name of the parent site, and it was updated to that from Ceramic Arts Daily a couple of years ago. It’s why the URL says “daily”, but all the website pages say “network.” The forum link from the main CAN page is unintuitively listed  under the “Freebies” drop down.

All this is happening because of a big software update, and it can take a week or so to figure out all the new stuff, and get your cookies back to where they should be. Usually once you log in a couple of times, your cookies will re-engage so that your browsing experience is smoother. 

We do small updates all the time and usually no one notices anything unless they happen to log in at the exact time it’s happening. In that instance, just try back in half an hour. This time though, the software provider brought out a bunch more stuff than usual, and we have to play around with the settings a bitso that everything’s comfortable again. Extra eyes are always appreciated in finding the new stuff!

@PyewacketteAlso, I should mention that the login for the CAN main website is separate from the one for the forum. The main website has things like people’s Ceramics Monthly or Pottery Making Illustrated subscriptions, or their Clayflix account, all of which have some level of paid access involved. It’s also where you sign up for the Ceramic Arts Daily emails, and those can have all kinds of links to free articles and other pieces of information. Which is  why it’s not showing you as logged in. Once you come into the forums, it should show you as logged in to that, if you’ve allowed that in your browser.

5 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@PyewacketteAlso, I should mention that the login for the CAN main website is separate from the one for the forum. The main website has things like people’s Ceramics Monthly or Pottery Making Illustrated subscriptions, or their Clayflix account, all of which have some level of paid access involved. It’s also where you sign up for the Ceramic Arts Daily emails, and those can have all kinds of links to free articles and other pieces of information. Which is  why it’s not showing you as logged in. Once you come into the forums, it should show you as logged in to that, if you’ve allowed that in your browser.

What is the CAN website? 

I have never heard of Clayflix and if that's paid apparently I never will LOL!  I have had subscriptions to the various magazines in the past but have not been able to receive snail mail for the last 5 years, so that is all in my past (but will again be possible by August after the move).

I don't do email subscriptions any more, they just introduce more opportunities for ever more spam.  I don't suppose they are archived anywhere?

I am logged in on these forums else I would not be able to post, but no login information appears for me at the top.  I presume the PTB at CeramicsMonthlyWhatever are trying to force everyone to log in at one place?  If that's the case then they need to fix it so that actually works.  If you only want one way to log in, that is the only login method that should be presented, regardless of exactly which page you are trying to log in FROM.

One login to rule them all ...

13 minutes ago, Pyewackette said:

One login to rule them all ...

Forum is free, CLAYfliks, online magazines and subscriptions are not. Just like not everyone who subscribes to a magazine doesn't necessarily go on the forum and vice versa 2 passwords are necessary. Otherwise the forum would be behind a paywall.

13 minutes ago, Pyewackette said:

What is the CAN website? 

The Ceramics Arts Network, which the forum is operated by, it's the website in your screenshot above.

It might help to look at this from the top down. 

CAN is Ceramic Arts Network. Their old name from a few years ago is Ceramic Arts Daily, from the newsletter which was and is a good resource. They updated all the things to reflect that new name except the URL, because it was easier to set up redirects for the old address, and they would have lost years of search engine optimization had they changed it. 

In terms of archived newsletters, they’re all mainly links to free articles that can be accessed from the main website. If you click on the 3 line drop down menu in the top left, go into “browse topics” and choose your rabbit hole.

2 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

It might help to look at this from the top down. 

CAN is Ceramic Arts Network. Their old name from a few years ago is Ceramic Arts Daily, from the newsletter which was and is a good resource. They updated all the things to reflect that new name except the URL, because it was easier to set up redirects for the old address, and they would have lost years of search engine optimization had they changed it. 

In terms of archived newsletters, they’re all mainly links to free articles that can be accessed from the main website. If you click on the 3 line drop down menu in the top left, go into “browse topics” and choose your rabbit hole.

I should have figured that out but I'm still stuck on "Ceramic Arts Daily" LOL!  I had noticed several years ago that the one site seemed semi-separate from the other, but didn't know if it had always been that way and I'd just never noticed or not.  I have a separate login on Network than Daily so I thought they were on-purpose separated.  What will happen to these separate logins now?  Will you merge them or make us create CAN logins if we only had the CAD ones?

I was on clayart and several usenet news groups and then yahoo groups for various clay related things.  Haven't been on clayart for years because they got weird - not all postings were being published, for no particular reason that anyone could figure out, but it was often enough that a bunch of people posted about the missing posts, and possibly some sort of passive-aggressive censoring or other punitive actions that were possibly occurring behind the scenes.  I don't think anything substantive was discovered about what was going on, but I left that community thereafter.  There is no room in my life for mean.  Though I think in that case it MIGHT have been an issue of the age of the guy running it.  I'm not even sure if its still around, though I do come across VERY old posts that are archived from time to time.  I vaguely remember them having to find another sponsor at some point, to host the newslist. Maybe they lost their last sponsor and it died, I don't know.

At any rate I've been on this forum for a lotta years but I'm not sure how many since I've been involved with e-pottery - albeit mostly as a lurker - for as long as there's been an e-clay forum or community somewhere.  Definitely before whatever the date is on my current account, since I lost access to my FIRST account, LOL!

I actually have no idea what my screen name was for the original account, but I'm pretty sure there was just the one login back then.

NOW I have TWO accounts that are currently active, this one on CAD which does not show me as logged in but does still let me post, and the CAN login that I got later when my CAD login didn't work over there (ever?  Or any more?  Not sure which).

So since they split you needed two accounts - or at least your original CAD account didn't work on the CAN side.  Or at least mine didn't.

I'll PM you the account details of my current accounts, but the old account was so long ago I'm not even sure which move it got lost in.  As in I moved, changed my ISP, changed my ISP-provided email address, and forgot the old one so I have no way to find it again now. And I have done that a lot over the years.  I've lived in every part of the country, including not even actually in the US LOL!

Pretty sure I either never or almost never posted on the first account - people like me struggling to even find local pottery studios that I could afford don't generally develop skills or knowledge to have much to offer, and there's no point in asking if you're not at least sort of starting to be on the verge of the cusp of finally being able to put together your own studio space.  So I haven't posted a whole lot regardless of where I've been (either physical location or which specific pottery community).

But for the last several years - since creating THIS account - I've had one login here and one on CAN.  This go round, I did the CAD account first, then found out that didn't let me in on the CAN side so I created a 2nd account there.

1 hour ago, Pyewackette said:

Pretty sure I either never or almost never posted on the first account - people like me struggling to even find local pottery studios that I could afford don't generally develop skills or knowledge to have much to offer, and there's no point in asking if you're not at least sort of starting to be on the verge of the cusp of finally being able to put together your own studio space.  So I haven't posted a whole lot regardless of where I've been (either physical location or which specific pottery community).

I do hope that people new to ceramics feel more than welcome to ask questions and make comments here. There is much to learn and have opinions on in this field, from techniques to chemistry to equipment issues to marketing to philosophies to aesthetics and so forth. Posts don't have to only come from people with their own studios who have been working in the field for years. Everyone is welcome and we welcome everyone. 

2 hours ago, Min said:

I do hope that people new to ceramics feel more than welcome to ask questions and make comments here. There is much to learn and have opinions on in this field, from techniques to chemistry to equipment issues to marketing to philosophies to aesthetics and so forth. Posts don't have to only come from people with their own studios who have been working in the field for years. Everyone is welcome and we welcome everyone. 

Well sure but that's not actually what I meant.  I don't think I ever felt that one COULDN'T post here asking questions; just that as long as *I*, as in me personally, did not have regular access to equipment whether in my own space or some common studio, there was no point in bothering people with questions about how to do things if I then couldn't turn around and put any advice offered into practice.  I've careened from one workspace to another, and for many years there was no space at all.  My life has been disrupted repeatedly in many ways.  I figure at this point I'll be lucky to have 10 moderately productive years left to me.  Where "moderately productive" is very VERY loosely interpreted, LOL!

Sadly this has been such a long ongoing process for me that I have literally forgotten many of the things I DID once know. So now that I MAY be sortofonthevergeofthecusp of finally being able to work consistently, I have even LESS to offer, LOL!

Heck, my memory is so shot by now I can't even remember what the weirdness was between the two sites (CAD and CAN).  I am going to have to go back to my old browser and check through my old logins because this one crashed the other day and ate all my passwords so ... there's something funny going on but I'm not sure what.  When I login on the forum it does not log me in to CAN, and when I login on CAN, it doesn't seem to make any difference to what's going on on the forum.  It has always been that way in at least the recent past (since I opened this account after losing access to the original), but it SEEMS like it shouldn't be doing that now?  I mean I got the impression there was supposed to be only one login for both sites now that they are being folded into the one site.

I thought anyway.  

So I just clicked on a link labeled "HOME" from someone's profile page and it didn't take me where I expected.

Given that both CAN and CAD (where CAN is the magazine/technical side and CAD was the forum) are being folded together ... unless I misunderstood that? Then I would expect "Home" to take me to the main site page eg www.ceramicartsnetwork.org

Instead it took me to the first tier of the forums, the link for which I would expect to be labeled either "forum" or "community".

Is that intentional?

OK so I've been re-reading and apparently I DID get it backwards - CAN and CAD are going to remain separate with separate logins.

I totally missed this posting that made that crystal clear.  Apologies.  My day starts at 4 AM (that's my excuse).

So we're sticking with 2 logins then.  Which leaves me still with no idea why the Hulk and I can't see our names or notifications without going in to the dropdown, since other people apparently still can.

There was another info field (text) - I'd configured it with my actual real name - that's been eliminated, 'bout where the red "circle" is.

The Member's (explicit, not rounded to nearest hundred) post count and upvote count were displayed, 'bout where the blue mark is, an' there wern't no dumb rocket impinging on one's avatar neither. Bromidic Rocket.

Ah haven't checked character limit on the Location field - it's at least sixty-three (like me!).

Change, aah, it's somethin' t' count on!

2067469273_likethisandthat.JPG.af3c2dc961e2a7e75e98016827b4b29e.JPG

OK so apparently Hulk and I are missing different things.

I'm missing seeing my name posted UP TOP at the right.  Now there is a dropdown menu, and where the notification bell and letter (and my name when I'm logged in) used to appear, now there is a link to an RSS feed and a Plus sign that I think is intended for "following" or something.

So now I have no way to tell if I'm logged in and no way to see when I have a notification.  Sometimes a number appears on the dropdown logo, but it is not accurate.  I've had notifications that don't appear there at all, and others that won't disappear from that for hours, unless I reload the page.  The notification bell and letter ALWAYS worked and it was always obvious whether or not I was currently logged in.  Apparently that dropdown logo is not as sensitive as the old method since it doesn't update properly.

THAT is what I'd really like back.  It was easy to see, it was right there, it was obvious, and it worked.  Now you have to go IN to the dropdown to see anything where the needed information used to be just RIGHT THERE.

I, too, do not grok the use of the rocket or pen nib or whatever it is that was added to our profile pictures.  The text label was self-explanatory and did not obscure the avatar.

BTW I can't find any privacy settings. I did finally find the notification settings, but it is only for individual posts.  I can't find a GENERAL setting location.

Also I noticed that in Settings > Recently Used Devices, you are showing my location every single time I log in.  Is that something other people can potentially see?  Because it is creeping me out.

6 hours ago, Pyewackette said:

Also I noticed that in Settings > Recently Used Devices, you are showing my location every single time I log in.  Is that something other people can potentially see?  Because it is creeping me out.

No, other people do not have access to this. It's on individual members page. Try going into mine, you won't be able to pull that info up. I believe you sent Callie a dm regarding the other points, to avoid confusion I won't rehash it here. 

@Hulk, I'll bring your points up with admin and get back to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Admin has looked into both trying to remove the spaceship icon and also getting the post and positive reactions counts back to specific numbers when over 1K are reached but unfortunately at this point in time those are not things that can be changed. 

Archived