Clear Glaze Suggestions

Hi Everyone, I started exploring more underglazes lately and need a good clear glaze recommendation. I use a mid fire clay, Standard 710 Dark Brown, and I'm looking ideally for both a great bottled clear glaze,  and dry clear glaze that's pre-measured that I can mix up myself in my 5 gallon bucket. I currently have this clear glaze left over in my studio: https://www.amaco.com/products/glaze-lg-10-clear but since it's low fire, would it behave well on mid fire clay?

Anyone have any clear glazes that they love for mid or high fire clay?

Thanks for answering all my questions!

~Dianna

www.dmcostaceramics.com

Hi Dianna,

Hope someone has suggestions for that particular clay!

My guess would be that glaze for dark brown should clear bubbles well. I've had good results with "Wollastonite Clear" over red and buff clays.

Guess #2, wouldn't expect the cone 05 glaze to behave well at mid-fire temperatures; if you try it out, perhaps limit the test and put a cookie under it?

2 hours ago, DMCosta said:

Hi Everyone, I started exploring more underglazes lately and need a good clear glaze recommendation. I use a mid fire clay, Standard 710 Dark Brown, and I'm looking ideally for both a great bottled clear glaze,  and dry clear glaze that's pre-measured that I can mix up myself in my 5 gallon bucket. I currently have this clear glaze left over in my studio: https://www.amaco.com/products/glaze-lg-10-clear but since it's low fire, would it behave well on mid fire clay?

Dianna

I have used low fire clear glazes from Amaco (and several other brands) on  clay bodies fired to cone 3, to cone 5, and to cone 10 in a gas kiln without problems.  The cone 05 maturity for these low fire glazes are slightly above the bisque temperature of these clay bodies; this means that the clay body acts as a sponge for the melt and soaks the glaze.  Try it, and see what happens on your clay, the way you apply the glaze, and  the way you fire your ware.  plan on using cookies until you are determine cookies are not needed.  

Always remember that thickness of the glaze application is important; thicker often means running. 

Glaze "fit" may be a bigger problem than running. 

LT

A clear glaze over red clay tends to read funny. One, they tend to give a greyish or cool tone cast to the piece, which is at odds with the warmth of any exposed clay like a foot ring. Second, most clears will cloud over a red clay body, because there’s lots of microbubbles that get caught. Normally they’re not visible over a white clay body, but the dark contrast underneath will highlight them. 

Getting a clear glaze to not be cloudy over a red clay body involves a lot of moving parts. You have to be mindful not only of your glaze recipe, but your bisque temperature, firing cycles on both bisque and glaze that involve soak holds at burnout points, and thickness of glaze application that involves measuring your SG and controlling your glaze’s thixotropy so you don’t get drip marks.

It can be done, but its a massive nuisance. I have done it, so if you want someone to walk you through, I will.

If you’re only looking to cover red clay, a trick that eases a great number of these problems is to use a light amber glaze instead. It reads as a clear because of the warm colour. Also, the iron acts as a fining agent in the glaze base, allowing those cloud causing microbubbles to escape.