Kiln Repair Advice for a Novice

The kiln appears to have significant severe brick damage which would require brick replacement and  complete element replacement. Looks like it needs a lot of care IMO. My first thought contemplate a major rebuild consisting of brick, elements, control wiring and possibly a new controller. The lid and floor may be damaged as well so inspecting and replacing them may be required.

Edited by Bill Kielb

It appears that somebody over-fired some low fire clay and it melted all over the floor and got onto the wall bricks as well.  You may be able to chip it off the floor, but every wall brick that has some on it needs to be replaced or it's just going to continue to eat into the bricks if you fire above low fire temps. And even at low fire it would be bad wherever it touches the elements. It looks like there are some other broken bricks that need replacing, too, like the one with the sitter tube going through it, and any brick that has a section of element groove missing more than about 2" wide.

It's an old Evenheat /Gare kiln. If a customer of mine showed me that kiln, I would tell them to throw it away because it wouldn't be worth the cost to have me fix an old kiln like that with that much damage. However, if you're willing and able to do the work yourself I would start by seeing what you can do with the mess on the floor. If the stuff won't come off, then it's definitely not worth fixing it since floor slabs are pricey. If it does come clean then get prices for elements and bricks from Evenheat and decide if it's worth the cost and effort. If you've never worked on a kiln yourself, this would not be a good one to start on since the outer jacket is all one piece and covers the floor slab. It complicates things a lot.

Wow. that is rough! I agree with Neil et al: not worth the trouble and expense: if you want a small kiln for hobby pottery at home you can get a nice, brand new little Evenheat that will be fun and satisfying for about the same money as fixing that one: Thinking of something like the Evenheat RMII 1413 : nice kiln: small money, no fuss! Evenheat RM II 1413 Cone 8 Kiln | Sheffield Pottery Kilns (sheffield-pottery.com)

Thank you everyone for your words of advice. I can't say that im not disappointed. I figured it was bad but was hoping it was a few hundred dollars and some elbow grease bad. Thank you all again so much. You have saved me a lot of time and frustration. 

I got rid of a kiln that had bricks in much better shape than that, but electrical components were shot. .. . Next door neighbor decided he would like the sections and old floor and lid. Took them to his camp, and by using the sections as were he made two very fine fire pits. The family loves them as they don't get excessively hot on the outside and do a great fire. I cautioned them on the softness of the brick, and he says he cuts shorter lengths for in it.  Your kiln looks like it could be a firepit in a later life!

best,

Pres