Crystal wax

Got to thank Mark for the recommendation for the crystal wax.  Might even be better for my application than his. 

I'm applying wax with a brush super heavy over high variation texture.  Think of tree bark.  The crystal wax has a really high surface tension, so first off, it stays on a really loaded brush very well and lays a complicated line nicely.  Second, it pulls into the deep texture and leaves the high points with a thin coating.  When I dip a glaze, the heavy load in the valleys keeps the glaze from loading up.

Didn't know if I would like it, but based on Mark's recommendation I bought a 5 year supply (Seattle Pottery).  Good call.

It is a really good wax.  Luckily very close to me.  

Another great wax, but with different properties, is reed wax from brackers.  Both are the best waxes I've used, and SPS crystal wax is a product that Mobil oil no longer makes (or at least that was the last news), so there is a limited life on it.

You cannot let it freeze, I know that's not a big deal for you @CactusPots, but could be for others here.

Reed wax is nice because it can freeze, but also is a decent wax in general.  And is available into the future.

I do hope mobilcer-a continues to be available, but I have a good back up just in case.  

20 hours ago, liambesaw said:

You cannot let it freeze, I know that's not a big deal for you @CactusPots, but could be for others here.

Even if you live in a frost free area, you still can't buy wax products in the winter.  The dealers simply won't ship then.  Make sure you have a supply by fall.

• 1 year later...