Muffling the sound from a 15 year old Brent C

So I don’t know if anyone has any tips on how to minimize the rather distinct hum from a Brent C. It’s older, but  in otherwise good shape, foot pedal still works, it doesn’t make any of the typical noises associated with wear, etc. Etc. 

I’ve been asked on social media if I could make some ASMR videos of clay being thrown on the wheel. It’s a pretty easy request to accommodate if I can reduce the hum from the motor. 

ASMR sounds are the important part, not my voice or narration. I’ve got a good phone voice, but it isn’t the right pitch for ASMR. Think the rustling of a plastic bag, or the squishy sounds clay makes. It’s all kind of quiet. 

I can film clay prep and get something there, but I had hoped to do one of coning and pulling a cylinder.

Hmm. I’ve got an old couch cushion I can maybe cut down as a temporary muffle  on the outside of the flywheel cover. My studio is small and cold, so overheating shouldn’t be an issue for the duration of a couple of pots. I’ll play with it and see what I can come up with. It isn’t going to be a huge thing, I don’t think. Not worth sourcing extra equipment for.

If moving the mic doesn't work.  I'd tape rigid foam insulation around the base like a triangle.  Can be cut with a utility knife.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-FOAMULAR-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-R-5-Small-Projects-Rigid-Pink-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

EDIT: if it's a vibration hum, could try these: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Vibration-Damping-Pads/b?ie=UTF8&node=16413781

Edited by Mark_H

13 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

I wonder if a little inexpensive lavalier mic held right by your hands would do the trick. You can get a basic one for $10-15 on Amazon and you could make a simple cone around it to isolate it from other sounds.

This is what I was thinking. When I make videos I use a <$20 lapel microphone clipped to my shirt. It records my voice loud and clear, with minimal background noise. The sound that the video camera captures contains a loud buzz of background noise, and my voice is much quieter and blurrier. 

In your case you will need a second set of hands to hold the mic near the noises you want, because both of your hands will be busy. Maybe one of your kids can be trained as “boom operator”? Or clamp the mic to a tripod that you can adjust and move around? 

6 minutes ago, GEP said:

In your case you will need a second set of hands to hold the mic near the noises you want, because both of your hands will be busy. Maybe one of your kids can be trained as “boom operator”? Or clamp the mic to a tripod that you can adjust and move around? 

@Callie Beller Diesel Set a bag of clay on a stool next to the wheel, stick a long paint brush in it, and clip the mic to it. Just make sure that no part of the setup touches the wheel so you don't get vibrations to the mic.

What is the deal with Brent wheels, anyway?  Are they just cheap motors?  Does the variable speed pedal cause the hum?  I don't know of any other electric motors that make an unacceptable hum.  Listening closely to my bandsaw or table saw, I don't hear that kind of noise.  My Pacifica certainly does not.

Honestly, I don’t find the sound intrusive, and if I hadn’t had this request from someone who helped me out a bit, I wouldn’t be bothered. I have just been muting the original sound off the video because I’m just recording with my phone, and then adding in a voiceover. My apple headphones have been sufficient for the job up to this point. But I might just break down and get a $20 lavolier and pad the wheel’s undercarriage. I’ve got a bit of styrofoam insulation left from another project.

Been working on Brent wheels for 50 years now and I have no idea what the big deal is -yes they make some noise but so does any motor. Whispers are the less noisy wheels all others make more noise. So does my band saw motor and table saw motor and grinfer motor in fact they make more noise than a potters wheel.

I think Callie just wants her voice and no other sound is my guess.

18 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

I think Callie just wants her voice and no other sound is my guess.

I fully agree with you on the wheel hum. It’s never bothered me, and I’ve worked on a Brent for most of my time as a potter. I tried a Shimpo whisper at Medalta once, and it was a bit creepy in it’s silence, frankly.

ASMR is kind of a specific recording that creates a physical sensation when listened to with headphones. It’s similar to frisson, but more on the back of your head and down your spine. The sounds that create this are things like the sounds clay makes at all stages. Or susurrations like whispering, bags crinkling, tools running over a wheel head, that kind of thing. Some people with anxiety find these recordings soothing, or some folks with things like ADHD or some Autism spectrum things will stim and find them pleasurable. 

I want to minimize any background noise, but it doesn’t have to be eliminated. I was reading up a bit on it yesterday, and it seems like a directional mike and padding the motor should do what I want. It doesn’t have to be perfect. I have ordered a $25 lavolier that should arrive Friday. I’ll keep everyone posted. 

I don't own or anticipate acquiring a Brent wheel, so really, I have no horse in this race.  It's pretty common opinion that the Brent wheel is the noisiest.

I get that there is considerable user loyalty to the Brent and it has no doubt earned it.

I also get that you become accustomed and comforted by the familiar.

I guess if I ever have the opportunity to talk to an electrical engineer, I might get a straight answer to my question.

2 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I tried a Shimpo whisper at Medalta once, and it was a bit creepy in it’s silence, frankly.

I have a really difficult time throwing on the Shimpo Whisper. Turns out I use the sound of my wheel to set the speed as much or more than I use my eyes.

1 hour ago, CactusPots said:

It's pretty common opinion that the Brent wheel is the noisiest.

I always though myTS/Skutt wheels were kind of noisy, but whenever I work on a Brent I realize they're not too bad! I think most wheels are kind of noisy and that's just part of their charm.

When I did a throwing DEMO for a group on the whisper everyone can hear very well-but on a Brent everyone can hear me very well as I am not a quiet talker.

The whisper dogged down with larger amouts to center and that annoyed me the most about that wheel as well as the splash pan plastic to me looks like it will not stand up to community studio use. Every wheel has it pros  and cons

I feel Brent and TS/skutts are really well made toughness wise-never seen a Bailey but would guess they also are well made if it anything like my electric slab roller.

I feel when cutting metal roofing with a power saw its noisy but its nothing compared to me jack hammering concrete. Its all relative