Wheel question

ayjay

I've been given a table-top wheel, it's a fairly old Webcot model with a 1/3HP motor so could be quit a nice machine when up and running.

I only brought it home last night and this evening I've rewired it from the plug to the motor (wire was rubber covered and in poor condition).

OK, so I turned it on before replacing the cover and having established that it works I put the wheel head back on, I then got hold of the wheelhead to check out the torque (or whatever it is) and whilst the motor continued to turn without a hitch the wheelhead became stationary.

It's quite possible that I just need to give the wheelhead a good thump once on, I've not put the cover back on yet and so have been reluctant to do that yet in case I struggle to get it off again, too tired to do any more now but tomorrow I will replace the cover and give it a try.

Am I correct in thinking that the wheelhead is just an interference fit on the shaft? There's no splines or notches or anything, it just looks very slightly tapered towards the top. It's quite greasy, should it be, or does it need to be clean metal to metal? Pic below if it helps.

I have never seen a webcot wheel but do recognize a tapered shaft in photo-I would leave the grease (it will aid in removal) and tap the head on in the middle of head with a rubber mallet over the shaft- This tapered shaft is also what holds drill press chucks on and they pop off just like your wheel head. I think this is a English Made wheel?

Mark

Thanks Mark; I'm not particularly well informed about pottery company histories but I think Webcot were an English company and they ended up tied in with Wenger and I believe have since been incorporated into a company called Potterycrafts who have either amalgamated with, taken over or bought out a number of other pottery related businesses.

Back to the wheel; being a glutton for punishment, I went out to the garage at about midnight last night and did some basic measuring, I think my problem is that the the tapered shaft is meeting the end of the socket in the wheel head.

My immediate thought is to take about 6mm off the top of the shaft to create a slightly larger taper. It's easily done but very difficult to undo, so I'll wait a while whilst I seek advice hither and yon.

I'll take some pictures of the wheel later, the innards and with the cover on.

I'm thinking removing metal is a bad idea-as that unit (head and bottom where all sold as one unit) so at one point it all works-How about looking for crude in head part blocking the down movement.

Mark

I'm thinking removing metal is a bad idea-as that unit (head and bottom where all sold as one unit) so at one point it all works-How about looking for crude in head part blocking the down movement.

Mark

I shall check very carefully for crud, I may even run some very fine wet and dry over it. I am however getting closer, I've filed off the top corner of the pillar, the socket in the wheelhead looks to be slightly dished and so it may have been bottoming out just on that section and I've also degreased everything for now, I can apply a fair bit of downward pressure to the head without it slipping, it's only if I grab the edge of the wheel now that it slips, (and I can see no real need for that in throwing) I'll try and find time later on today to chuck some clay on it and give it a go. Got one or two other ideas to try yet if it's not right.

I think you have said it well when throwing the downward pressure will keep it firm-one never grabs the head to stop it. Only when pulling a cylinder does pressure pull up on head and its very slight as the clay is heavy and that pulls down..

Good luck with the new to you wheel. Its definitely made in England-Not sure of your location so parts may be an issue in future.

Mark

Well it's on now, and not slipping at all, in fact I can't even pull it off.

I cleaned up the spindle with some fine wet+dry paper put the wheel-head back on without grease and gave it a sensible whack, left it overnight and it's solid now. I will take it off again soon if only to get a little lube on it.

I'm sure it's English made and I would be surprised if spares were still available so any belts needed may be a problem, but it was free and means I can throw at home. It's awkward at night school only having access to a pot for two hours a week, they often end up too dry when some idiot leaves the damp cupboard open or sometimes they come out again a week later as wet as when they went in.

I'm keeping an eye out on Ebay anyway for something slightly more sophisticated - (variable speed would be nice) although I threw one pot yesterday without any dramas and it may even make my throwing more consistent having a constant speed as I often find my foot seems to get heavier on the pedal the more I concentrate and I have to make myself slow down. This one will do me nicely for a while.

Thanks for your help and advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have a similar problem. I am trying to remove the wheelhead from an Alsager wheel by J W Ratcliffe & sons of Stoke on Trent UK. It's probably frm the 70s and I cannot find a manual.

The wheelhead is on solidly. I can lift all 70 kilos of the wheel by the wheel head. I cannot see any locknut on the shaft anywhere. It is a little rusted just under the wheelhead itself and it maybe that it is threaded on and that there is rust holding it. I cannot turn it either way though I have not tried to force it.

Does anyone have experience of these wheels or any other helpful info

thanks

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I have a similar problem. I am trying to remove the wheelhead from an Alsager wheel by J W Ratcliffe & sons of Stoke on Trent UK. It's probably frm the 70s and I cannot find a manual.

The wheelhead is on solidly. I can lift all 70 kilos of the wheel by the wheel head. I cannot see any locknut on the shaft anywhere. It is a little rusted just under the wheelhead itself and it maybe that it is threaded on and that there is rust holding it. I cannot turn it either way though I have not tried to force it.

Does anyone have experience of these wheels or any other helpful info

thanks

Andy

Alsagers often thread on, opposite thread to throwing turn. Jamb something (unplug it first!) underneath to stop the shaft, etc. turning and, maybe with some help, twist the head briskly. Lubricating oil (WD 40 is brand name here) soaked into the thread won't hurt either. Alsagers are tough, so don't be too gentle!

Archived