Making a black clay

Hi there

Ok, first thing. I live in South Africa. There is no way that I am ordering clay from the USA! I am also very stingy, and would not mind to save some $$$ making/mixing something myself. I buy my glaze wholesale these days, and was shocked when I discovered that it is about a 1/3 what the supplier charged me ...

I have been using a terracotta based slip with added oxides for the last year. But it gives me a lot of added on labour, as I have to sand each piece after a bisque firing to get rid of the roughness. Another supplier gave me a bucket of his black stoneware slip, and I love the smoothness of it. But the price is scary. I will have to add another 10% on my annual price rise, if I go this route. My customers will be unhappy ...

Does anyone know what oxides to add to a white clay body to turn it black after firing? And the quantities? I would really appreciate it.

Guest JBaymore

How true a black do you desire?

Do you care about potential added studio working toxicity issues?

Do you care about potential leaching of toxics relative to functional wares?

best,

.......................john

hi John

I know that the suppliers add manganese to the slip. I am aware of the fumes from firing, but we have extraction fans in the studio. I wet sand, and wet sweep my working area. I have read all the technical info I could lay my hands on with my clay and it's content.

But, I want true black.

post-7071-134220387645_thumb.jpg

post-7071-134220387645_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

I'd then go with ceramic body stains (like Chris mentioned) rather than oxides. A tad less toxicity issues. Manganese is (unfirtunately) the "go to" colorant for black clay bodies.

And as far as the 'extraction fans"........ fine .... but have you done any air quality studies to KNOW that those fans are actually doing the job.... not just whirring away?

best,

.......................john

Archived