No time to dry

I have a deadline coming up at me fast, so I have less than 1 week to fire my pieces but they aren't dry yet. My question is, can I dry them in the kiln? If so, how long and at what temp?

Yes, it is called candling,  run the kiln at 200f for 4 hours and they will probably be ready, depends on how thick they are though. I blew up a piece that was thick doing that. If I really need to fire wet I will put them in the kiln and do 8 hours at 200, then start the regular firing. I can do this with items I made the day before and they will be fine. 

If there aren’t too many that are questionable you can dry them in an oven -  put them in the cold oven and turn it to the lowest setting, leave the oven door propped open a bit with a wooden spoon for moisture to escape ( and remind you that the oven is Occupied),  and leave them until you load. Then candle slowly as advised above. 

On 5/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

If you have a programmable kiln, you can set it at lower temperatures than you can with the infinite switch on your oven. I haven’t always had good luck with the keep warm setting. 

I’m blessed with a gas oven ;)