Glaze Pencils

Hello - I am planning to send some pots to a client to draw on with glaze pencils. The pots (once drawn on) will need to be sent back to me and I was wondering if anybody knew of any times to prevent smudging the pencil on the bisque-ware; as these pots will need to be safely packaged up. Any help hugely appreciated.

Underglaze pencils wich I have been around for over4 decades come in many colors with cobalt being whats I have used most. I have  a porcelain fired same tile with all colors from long ago (same deal with lusters( These pencils are very silly smudged on bisgueware) if that is what you are referring to.

If you hairspray them which will protect the glaze  pincil will  then glaze not stick and you must fire that off before clear glaze coat is applied/ I think that is also a area of handling that makes fro more trouble . How about an  homemade inner box that fits the piece and is solid and does not touch the surface of drawing via a well made pot lip/ Then pack that box with padding between in an outer box.

When I am around these pencil drawings I usually after the drawing band the piece wth cobalt wash and glaze immedialy with a thin clear glaze 

like this 10 inch plate fire to cone plate10 . Drawing done by friend I banded and glazed it and made the plate. or these covered jars I made and friend did art work on top -all with pencils and cobalt wash (not the shell pot which is another potters work)

post-8914-0-28610100-1426971680.jpg

post-8914-0-60486200-1426971671.jpg

I would experiment, or have the artist experiment, with a spare pot to see if wrapping with saran smudges the drawing. Bisquing off hair spray, especially if there are a lot of pots, could be the simplest solution  

Some pot shapes might be packable in a way that the packing material doesn’t touch the areas that have drawings. If you continue the collaboration, you might want to plan the pots/drawings with transport in mind. 

Cobalt smudges from underglaze pencils are practically undetectable before firing and they are excruciatingly obvious after.

I've no experience in this area, but has anybody tried starch spray?

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/pottery-making-techniques/ceramic-glazing-techniques/stay-put-glaze-a-great-tip-for-transporting-glazed-pots/

Preventing Smearing of Underglaze Pencils

stay-put-glaze-ware-2

Spray starch was used on this pot to keep the underglaze pencil lines from smearing before it was glazed then fired.

More recently, I started using underglaze pencils to add some line work to my functional pieces, but was having a hard time with the powdery pencil marks easily smearing. I decided to experiment on one of my class demo pots, and see if the spray starch would also work under the glaze, fixing the pencil in place so I could paint on clear glaze with worrying about smearing. It worked like a charm. The pencil didn’t smear, and the starch burned off in the kiln, with no side effects (5).

Underglaze Smudging and Bleeding – How To Prevent It
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=pottery+starch+spray
A rather more discursive discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 11:15 AM, PeterH said:

I've no experience in this area, but has anybody tried starch spray?

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/pottery-making-techniques/ceramic-glazing-techniques/stay-put-glaze-a-great-tip-for-transporting-glazed-pots/

Preventing Smearing of Underglaze Pencils

stay-put-glaze-ware-2

Spray starch was used on this pot to keep the underglaze pencil lines from smearing before it was glazed then fired.

More recently, I started using underglaze pencils to add some line work to my functional pieces, but was having a hard time with the powdery pencil marks easily smearing. I decided to experiment on one of my class demo pots, and see if the spray starch would also work under the glaze, fixing the pencil in place so I could paint on clear glaze with worrying about smearing. It worked like a charm. The pencil didn’t smear, and the starch burned off in the kiln, with no side effects (5).

Underglaze Smudging and Bleeding – How To Prevent It
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=pottery+starch+spray
A rather more discursive discussion.

This is a bit off topic - can you guide me to some information on how I would ask my own question about transporting pieces to a firing service.  Thank you in advance. Cheers

Glazed or unglazed?  I have found that for glazed pots a good coat of hair spray then wrapped in soft plastic (veg bags or dry cleaner plastic) then wrap in bubble wrap or what have you.

If it for a bisque firing transport them when they are leather hard.

Lin

Archived