Jump to content

Luster firing in home


Recommended Posts

Hi there! I am interested in firing some luster pieces in my kiln in my basement (I have an L&L easy fire with a downdraft vent and a vent for heat). I open a couple small windows when I fire as well. I've heard anecdotally that luster firings smell really bad so I'm not sure they are safe to fire in a home studio. Do folks have experience with this? Thanks in advance!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They smell like burning lustre, it's not a great smell.

As far as safety, a lot of the hazardous components evaporate away, they're the solvents.  Shouldn't get too much solvent burning off, but you'll smell the resin burning.

Edited by liambesaw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would be as concerned, if not more, about the fumes during application. Wear a respirator that's approved for vapors, wear safety glasses and gloves, in a well ventilated area.

With a downdraft vent and windows I would think you'll be fine during the firing. Maybe put a small fan in one of the windows, blowing out, to move more air through the space if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, hlipper said:

But is it unsafe to do because of the fumes? Or is the smell the only issue?

I lustre fire outside, but the overglazes do not vaporize, so it should not be unsafe.  This is assuming you're using modern overglazes, not lead fluxed overglazes from pre-1990.

Modern overglazes are fluxed to the surface with either bismuth salts or silver salts.  The nonvolatile (the compoundes that do not evaporate after application) compounds in lustre overglazes are pine rosin and metal salts.  The pine rosin is there for local reduction, and will generate a tiny amount of carbon monoxide during firing, but it likely converts to carbon dioxide before it even leaves the kiln.  The salts reduce to their metallic form.  

Take that with a grain of salt, but I would be more comfortable firing lustres in a vented kiln than I would firing a speckled body.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Take that with a grain of salt, but I would be more comfortable firing lustres in a vented kiln than I would firing a speckled body.

The lustre burnout/smelly period would be a lot shorter than the burnout of stuff during a bisque firing, wouldn't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fired lustres at the HS, used a vent fan overhead, ran a slow firing with peeps open. Very little smell in the room. I always required that students wore the respirator mask in the room when applying lustres, also in a station with near the kiln vent fan. Lustres a great on decorative pieces, but as they wear off, little use on functional pieces that will get lots of wear.

 

best,

Pres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.