Looking for advice on used kiln-Diana

DianaB

I’m setting up a home studio, keeping an eye out for used kilns.  Came across a used Skutt 181 for $600, and would love some feedback on if it’s a reasonable deal. 

My needs - smallish kiln that can easily be rolled outside through a standard door, ideally digital (willing to convert), fires to cone 6. 

The kiln looks to be in good shape (no cracked bricks, no elements sticking out) and I am told it works well.  

Browsing around I get a sense that $600 might be too much to pay?  I am also factoring in the cost to convert to digital ($200ish?) and the cost to get the proper wiring set up.  Thoughts? 

Hi Diana and welcome to the forum!

I’ve taken the liberty of adding to the title of your question so that you get more engagement on it. If you just use your name, people don’t know what info you’re looking for. 

The resale market for kilns right now is pretty hot. Lots of people are setting up studios because they haven’t had access to their usual group setups, or they just find they have more time now. You could maybe try getting the price down a few hundred dollars, but it might not be a bad price if it includes furniture. 

People who have a Skutt 181 seem to like them, though that model is long out of production. It will be a manual kiln with switches and a kiln sitter. While new kilns with a digital controller often have a price premium of ~$200 over the comparable manual model, the cost to add a standalone digital controller to a manual kiln is in the order of $6-800 depending on the features. $600 for this small one is a tad high but could be worth it if it includes shelves and posts.

Thanks for the welcome and the help navigating the system.  Good to know about price for a conversion.  My husband is an electrical engineer so he can help me with it but parts do seem pricey.  

@DianaB I believe the 181 is a cone 6 kiln, so not suitable for firing to cone 6 because it'll only get to cone 6 if the elements are in perfect condition. You'll only get about 35 firings before they need to be replaced, compared to 130-150 firings if it was a cone 10 kiln or 75-90 firings if it was a cone 8 kiln. Check the serial plate on the kiln to verify the max cone rating.

Skutt parts prices are pretty average.

Archived