Complete beginner - want to make blue and white tiles!

Hello everyone!

I’m a total beginner and would just like to paint some blue and white patterned tiles - like Chinese pots or Portuguese azulejos - to make a coffee table. 

I’ve found this forum really useful so far, and have some bisque fired tiles and some cobalt carbonate ready to order. However this is where I’m now stuck - do I need anything else? I’ve seen various ‘recipes’ but I thought I’d just mix the powder with water and paint it on. What else do I need to do? Also what temperature should I fire them at?

Really grateful for any help you could provide about how I can achieve this effect. Thank you!

Initially you will need to find out:

what clay your bisque tiles will vitrify at.

Where you can get them fired locally. I.e. who fires to the above temperature/cone.

When you say glazed you will have to "glaze".Just applying stain is not glazing and for an outside table, your tiles will gradually disintegrate, and won't be easily cleaned.

Imo a stiff white glossy glaze, a majolica glaze would be best. The cobalt is used on top of the unfired glazed tile.

Search Linda Arbuckle, Bill Kleib, Majolica ware.

Lots to learn ,lots of fun

Thank you! 
The tiles say this: “

4" Square Bisque Tiles

These ceramic bisque tiles, made from white earthenware low-fire clay, are suitable for a variety of projects such as creating borders, covering table tops, coasters, and more!

Decorate with either underglazes or glazes then fire to†between 999degC-1060degC.”

I’m still not sure whether the cobalt carbonate needs to be mixed with anything though. Do you know?

Do I just apply it to the bisque tile and then glaze over the top of the design? Or glaze it and fire it first then paint on it, and then fire it again?

21 hours ago, potterynewbie2021 said:

Do I just apply it to the bisque tile and then glaze over the top of the design? Or glaze it and fire it first then paint on it, and then fire it again?

Yes.  You need to test different methods, as they will give different results.

1.  Apply, fire, apply glaze, fire.

2.  Apply, apply glaze, fire.

3.  Apply glaze, fire, apply cobalt, fire.

4.  Apply glaze,  apply cobalt, fire.