Blebbing and blistering

Hi everybody

I had glaze failures in my works. I used commercial base glaze for my recipes. When I added coloring oxide such mangan, zircon and stain of blue and brown, the glaze had succeed. But added red stain the glaze became blebbing (small air bubbles) and willl be blistering if broken out. Any idea why this happens? Any comment I really appreciate it.

I've found some combo's of glaze and colorants just do this. I was thinking it was an off-gassing issue, but perhaps someone who knows more about this will chime in. One thing to try and test is to do a longer soak at temp and see if it helps settle things before cooling.

Hi

Thanks for replying. I bought the base glaze from the supplier, so I didn't know what the recipe is? meanwhile I made my own body such as local clay, china clay, and feldspar. The glaze temperature is high fired, above 1200C.

Something that I wondered, I used same base glazes for all the oxide and stain colors but only red stain that had failure the rest were good. The surface become blebbing. I had tried to soak the temperature but the result still not good. May be any alternative solving?

Thank yourolleyes.gif

Most red stains, other than inclusion pigments that are rated for cone 9, will burn out their color. I'm betting you're getting some off-gassing of the stain that is causing the bubbling. If you're using an inclusion pigment, then it's just a compatibility issue. Not all stains work with all glazes.

Archived