anyone drying work outside?

hello hello! i am new here-hoping someone can help me a little bit. :) i have some problems with my drying situation. i am making things at home, and have been drying inside an open cabinet. but it feels like it is getting a little ‘dusty’ inside.. now to my question; can i dry it out side (under roof)? it is currently about 10 degrees celsius outside where i live and i wonder if it will ever dry outside. hoping someone have some experience from similar conditions they will share with me. :)  in advance thanks!!

I guess I don't know what you mean, when you say it is getting "dusty" inside.  Is it getting dusty from the clay work?

In any case,  work dries very well outside, especially with a light breeze and direct sunlight.  10 degrees is still on the "cool" side, but anything above freezing would be OK, it will just take longer. 

You could also try drying them outside of the cabinet, to allow for air circulation all around.  The cabinet is limiting that. 

I use the sun to dry 99% of all thrown pottery when I can. Mugs go out in sun and come off the plaster bats as soon as they are raedy and taken inside to handle for example. Bowls dry outside until they can be trimmed-usually it takes place in same day-work in am trim in pm

I spin the pots to the other side if the sun is hot to make sure that dry evenly .

The sun is a potters friend.

Moving air seems to make a big difference - I'll roll up the garage door eight inches or so and prop open the back door to speed drying.
When in a hurry, I'll carry ware boards outside, which speeds things up quite a bit! Periodic rotation can be important.

When it's 50F outside, my studio isn't much warmer than that, sigh.

Archived