Electric Wet Sander

I know about the dangers of sanding so how do people get around to sand their finish work?  This is a mystery to me.  I have been searching the internet looking for a wet sander with no luck.  Everything is really heavy and bulky-not suitable for small hands  How do you experienced potters do it other than manually?  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Mom said:

know about the dangers of sanding so how do people get around to sand their finish work?  This is a mystery to me.  I have been searching the internet looking for a wet sander with no luck.  Everything is really heavy and bulky-not suitable for small hands  How do you experienced potters do it other than manually?  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

All the insights above are really spot on but I will mention there are very special times and reasons folks do wet sand bisque, wet to keep the dust down and in the case of sanding  leather hard or fully dried greenware a very few will dry sand (with proper mask and ventilation for all sanding of course)

Often these are very special items to get a very precise look and in the case of bisque ware maybe a last minute touch up or two. When I met Tom and Jen McCurdy , she clearly along with Tom spent an amazing amount of time sanding for a very special amount of perfection. When they do it, they are properly ventilated and properly protected though. .................Definitely not a level of sanding most potters ever need to do.

https://jennifermccurdy.com/

As far as electric.  If you already have a 4-5" angle grinder, these can be used on ceramic wet or dry.  I use them to bullnose granite/marble/ceramic (removes glaze and exposes body) https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Polishing-Backer-Granite-Concrete/dp/B00C46I104

Edit: forgot to mention it is a variable speed grinder I use.  It needs to be slowed down for these to work properly

Archived