9 hours ago, Pres said:

I might even try running the glaze load at ^4 to see how close that comes to my ^5-7 cone pack.

Just curious and apologies if it’s already been stated, the programs that have run have been the automatic cone fire?  And looking at your data and some familiarity with The Genesis control. Zone 3 in your firing ended particularly cooler than the rest so my thought is: the controller has an automatic lag function which I believe delays the other zones while the cooler one catches up. We used to have the ability to use the center element to help with the top or bottom to catch up, but I believe this  has been replaced by the automatic lag function. Anyway, maybe some food for thought if there is an obvious reason that zone is cooler (open site plug, misaligned lid) it might have the effect of extending the firing too long.

Sorry, just brainstorming a bit here. Glad to hear the protection tubes have gone by the wayside so to speak, which brings one last thought as to how deep are the actual thermocouples embedded into the kiln so they all sense equally and as accurate as practical.

Just thinking........

Edited by Bill Kielb
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I sent an email to the owner of L&L this morning explaining the issue, and he responded: Thanks. I will take a look at that and make any corrections necessary. I've been a distributor for L&a

I have my TC's about 3/8" from the end of the tubes, and I haven't seen any flaking into the kiln yet after about 20 firings. Definitely some flakes visible inside the tubes, though. So far so good.

L&L has switched to an open-ended protection tube. There were issues with the closed-end tubes being inconsistent in thickness. The open-ended tubes do not need an offset. Default setting in the c

Posted Images

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

@Pres Make sure your thermocouples are all the same distance from the end of the protection tubes, about 3/8 in from the end.

I inserted (gently) a drill bit approximately the same diameter as the hole on the tubes, Using thumbnail as a stop, top 3/16" as is the bottom, and the center is 1/4". Not anywhere near 3/8".

@MinThe peep holes look to be close to 1/2 inch in diameter. I could line up a cone pack as in the old kiln, but would really be tough to see it, or at least to know what cone is down.

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Why? They work great. I've never had accuracy problems with them. I have several customers who have added them to their Skutt kilns to keep the TCs from shedding all over.

Just glad he needs no offsets. I take it you do not believe the new hollow tubes are a better overall idea?

49 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Just glad he needs no offsets. I take it you do not believe the new hollow tubes are a better overall idea?

At first I was concerned they won't keep the TC's from shedding into the kiln, but so far they seem to be doing the job just fine. The downside of the open end is that TC longevity will probably be reduced. We'll see. I'm only about a dozen firings in on mine, so too early to tell.

Please do not add thermocouple covers to your Skutt Kilns. They will cause the kiln to overfire because there is a delay in the actual thermocouple reading  the temperature. L & L offsets their controllers to make this "kinda" of work but it will act differently when the kiln is rising in temperature vs a hold in temperature.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, neilestrick said:

At first I was concerned they won't keep the TC's from shedding into the kiln, but so far they seem to be doing the job just fine. The downside of the open end is that TC longevity will probably be reduced. We'll see. I'm only about a dozen firings in on mine, so too early to tell.

That was my question when I first read about the open protection sheath.  I know how much metal I get out of that cover when i change the TCs.  I would not want that dropping out into pots.   I will be interested to know what your experience is with that @neilestrick  Is the TC back quite a bit from the end of the cover?

25 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

That was my question when I first read about the open protection sheath.  I know how much metal I get out of that cover when i change the TCs.  I would not want that dropping out into pots.   I will be interested to know what your experience is with that @neilestrick  Is the TC back quite a bit from the end of the cover?

I have my TC's about 3/8" from the end of the tubes, and I haven't seen any flaking into the kiln yet after about 20 firings. Definitely some flakes visible inside the tubes, though. So far so good.