Standard Ceramic Layering Glaze 1198

Hello all, 

I am on my way to purchasing a kiln this weekend and along with it I am going to be picking up LOTS of additives and chemicals that I know little to nothing about. One in particular piqued my interest- Standard Ceramic 1198 layering base. I had seen it mentioned on a post in Pinterest (I believe the credit goes to Ana Leal Pottery, but it was really difficult to reverse search this image for some reason) and wondered if anyone here uses it, and what is the general application? What sorts of effects does it have on other glazes? Does it play well with others (or not at all with some brands?) I intend to do a lot of testing, but some baseline knowledge could help! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.51.19 PM.png

Im-finally-trying-to-document-some-of-my-glaze-experiments.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2021 at 1:07 PM, Dominique MP said:

Hello all, 

I am on my way to purchasing a kiln this weekend and along with it I am going to be picking up LOTS of additives and chemicals that I know little to nothing about. One in particular piqued my interest- Standard Ceramic 1198 layering base. I had seen it mentioned on a post in Pinterest (I believe the credit goes to Ana Leal Pottery, but it was really difficult to reverse search this image for some reason) and wondered if anyone here uses it, and what is the general application? What sorts of effects does it have on other glazes? Does it play well with others (or not at all with some brands?) I intend to do a lot of testing, but some baseline knowledge could help! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.51.19 PM.png

Im-finally-trying-to-document-some-of-my-glaze-experiments.jpg

Hi this is my picture and thank you for giving me credit! I don’t use the layering glaze that often now because I use underglazes more often. This is basically a flux, to be used under another glaze to make it move. It plays well with other glazes. I believe I have some examples of combos at the Fb group glaze craze.