I have a Skutt kiln that I rescued from a JrHS being torn down in 2010. My original intention was to use it as a backup, but never got around to running electric to it. I personally know that the kiln has been fired maybe 10 times in its lifetime. The Jr. High teacher was not that ceramic savvy, and I mentored her on firing it. 

The kiln has damage to the lower row of bricks where the janitors damaged it when moving it to the loading dock where I picked it up. Other than that, and s slight crack in the lid it is in very good shape as you can see from the pictures. I am asking $200 for it. My name is Preston Rice, and I may be reached here on the forum or at my email found in my profile under Pres.

SetterView.JPG.9efb170539f8c7c842545dec83e10184.JPGOldKilnLid.JPG.a2679d37556138881e3be59519691cb9.JPGOldKilnExterior.JPG.7e3d9b427d15b18c2eb4ae136088945d.JPGInsideView.JPG.30ca61035959d47ad5d58467bb2661b9.JPGBottomBricksDamaged.JPG.4400b6a722abe906ac3caacf0f830b21.JPG667348742_BasicDish.jpg.3994ebabc51fbe111b10db0f84ff49cf.jpg

SetterView.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Last fired probably in 2007. Repair on the bottom level will require a row of bricks all around. As it is on the bottom it is pretty easy to get to, and only takes loosening of the stainless band to allow easy movement of the bricks. If you wish to see closer pictures I can supply them.

best,

Pres

Michael I have a Skutt similar to this one you will probably need replace the bottom row of bricks.   The lid you can live with the crack for many years eventually you will have to replace the lid.    My Skutt is 30 years old and I have replaced it three times,  this is normal wear and tear of the heat and cool cycles.   You can consider the elements almost new with the few firings that it has had.   I use a dual Skutt digital dual  thermocouple  to  monitor and adjust my firings.   I would say that this kiln is WOW What A Bargin!   Denice

Peep hole plugs are all present, but are available on Amazon. The Ceramic Shop, and Clay King seem to carry elements and bricks and other parts, but I would start by checking direct with Skutt.

I will get some pictures out tomorrow.

best,

Pres

Notice the oxidation of the bricks, and the way the original elements look along with the condition of the outside stainless sheeting that this kiln has not been fired often. It is rated to cone 8, so if firing to cone 6 you would have to replace elements more often. 

best,

Pres