what material for a bat that includes a foot for a plate?

oldlady

looking for a material to use as a bat having a groove included in the design.   can use any material but i think plaster is not my first choice.   plaster with that hardening ingredient is possible but i would rather use a wood or wood-like thick material.   a local woodworker could rout the groove where i want it for two or more size plates.  

i know some of you work with other materials, got any suggestions?

both, neil.   i would like to try slabs that have impressed gingko leaves.  if i can put a ring of clay into the groove so it will stick to the bottom of the slab, i can lift the edges easily enough for a rim.   if i throw one, i can avoid trimming.  lifting the rim is easy.

i got the recipe used in making plaster tile molds from a friend, joan gardiner in unison, va that includes hydrocal which makes them stronger and they last a long time.

Plaster really would be the best material, especially if you're throwing on it.  A thick piece of Medex (exterior MDF) would be the best option after plaster, but it's hard to find. You could just buy Medex bats and glue a couple together with a waterproof glue (Gorilla glue), and then route in the foot ring. The problem with regular MDF and Masonite is the cut edge is very porous compared to the hard surface, so your foot groove will be an area will it can take in water easily, and delaminate from the inside.

I made foot ring bat a few years ago using MDF.  The plate was thrown and finished at 12" while still green.

Its nearly impossible to get the plate off the bat without deforming it.

I then made a smaller second bat that would fit inside the plate's rim so I can turn over the plate with it still  on the foot ring bat. Not any better, still way to fussy.

I now flip the plate (when stiffened, but still green) onto the smaller bat and attach foot ring(s). Way, way faster and so much easier to deal with.

When I started throwing patens 25 years ago, I did a whole lot of problem solving with bats. The best bat I found for making a wheel or slab made pot was a very low dome that I threw the ring into. The second best was a cylindrical bat with a plate impression of low dome and foot groove. Why not use the second all the time? I had to make certain to get the paten off of the form at the perfect time, too early and the form slumped, too late the ring tore slightly. You have to remember I was interested in making 20 or so at a time. Never was good at timing.

best,

Pres

lots of ideas, thanks, guys.    busy getting ready for a show on mothers' day weekend and enjoying my first spring here in 14 years.   wow, daffodils multiply in that time!  planting roses today.

your suggestions are very helpful, it seems plaster might be best.   hmmmm...   wonder how a round bat that is taller than the one that it fits into might work?  like my 5 inch square inserts do.

will visit joan gardiner about some details and let you know what happens.

If you’re handbuilding, you could make a few bisquware pukis. I’ve made a couple for a friend in the past. Throw a bowl shape with the curve you want, and then carve a depression (similar to routing wood) that would be the shape of your foot ring. It would work better than the wood version, because the bisque is porous, and would release the clay better.

Archived