QotW: Now that Spring is on the way what will be your first task in the studio?

Hi folks, little late with this as I just didn't have an idea for a topic this week, but thought of something that is nearing for all of us, and in the north is important. .. Spring! Its on the way. So I thought that something about the season was appropriate.

So, QotW: Now that Spring is on the way what will be your first task in the studio?

This change in the seasons, and the warmer temperatures will bring on several days in the shop. I will not be throwing or producing anything, but unloading and unfinished glaze load, removing two kilns, and clearing the area for the new kiln. I will also take the time to do the yearly material inventory and cleaning to get ready for the new kiln due at the end of April. Lots to do, with big excitement!

Once again I will ask Now that Spring is on the way what will be your first task in the studio?

best,

Pres

I made some pots a week or so ago and now they're dry.  So today's task was to load and fire the kiln.

Before that could happen, of course, I had to make space to roll the kiln out from under the greenhouse staging, and into the middle of the floor.  So I also had to move stuff away from the kiln, and from on top of the kiln.  Also had to lift and store the anti-fatigue mats that keep my feet warm.  Then had to sweep the floor. Silver birch seeds get everywhere!

The 3 feet of snow on the back porch has slowly melted down to a foot & a half  X a foot & a half bar of solid ice, welded to the flooring, so I still can't get out the back door without a jack hammer.  I need to move 2/3rd of the stuff in my kiln room out onto the porch, mostly furniture. Then I can get at the kiln, the ware cart, the 2nd work table, the firing supplies etc. I'll throw hot water through the screen until I can pry it loose.

Of course, I'm delighted to be procrastinating, since I dread how much I have to push myself to get on with it---"it" being another boat load of the ever-popular (but oh-so-boring to make) plant markers.  At least they bring in the spendoolies and I am truly grateful for that. 

Oh-here's a fun fact. The case of them that I sent to an outlet in the Philippines in very early January arrived yesterday.  Yesterday!! I will never ship international again. And I only learned after the fact that the U.S.  does not track after it leaves the states, and I have no recourse if it is lost/stolen/damaged.  I ship almost nothing, ever, & don't qualify for any discounts, anyway.  I am learning to love local!

no more international shipping.jpg

1 hour ago, LeeU said:

The 3 feet of snow on the back porch has slowly melted down to a foot & a half  X a foot & a half bar of solid ice, welded to the flooring, so I still can't get out the back door without a jack hammer.  I need to move 2/3rd of the stuff in my kiln room out onto the porch, mostly furniture. Then I can get at the kiln, the ware cart, the 2nd work table, the firing supplies etc. I'll throw hot water through the screen until I can pry it loose.

Of course, I'm delighted to be procrastinating, since I dread how much I have to push myself to get on with it---"it" being another boat load of the ever-popular (but oh-so-boring to make) plant markers.  At least they bring in the spendoolies and I am truly grateful for that. 

Oh-here's a fun fact. The case of them that I sent to an outlet in the Philippines in very early January arrived yesterday.  Yesterday!! I will never ship international again. And I only learned after the fact that the U.S.  does not track after it leaves the states, and I have no recourse if it is lost/stolen/damaged.  I ship almost nothing, ever, & don't qualify for any discounts, anyway.  I am learning to love local!

no more international shipping.jpg

Cool! I've been to Quezon city many times, it's very nice there!  How did you land that gig!?

We get a few flashes of "Spring" between the onset of cool and/or wet, ~November, and onset of warmish/not as wet, about now - when daytime temps exceed 65F or so. Mostly, the "Winter" season features 40-50F overnight and 50-60F daytime, although there are flashes of sub freezing, and horribly cold days <45F. There are stretches where studio temps barely get over 50F by mid afternoon, that's over for this year.

Spotted a lone (scout) Swallow mid February, a small flight early March, and another small flight this last weekend - Spring! It was a warm Winter here; many California poppies made it through the winter and posted blooms as early as February. Typically, from seed poppies start blooming late April to May, however, without another rain or two, looks like there won't be much late blooms this year.

Our Summer weather pattern is almost established, overnight ~50F, daytime 55-70F, Northwest winds picking up just about every day, diminishing overnight, hence studio temps are a bit higher, things dry faster, nice!

I've a bisque load to glaze, and am working on the next bisque load as well, for second ever show is coming up. Am almost decided where to put up a few more shelves, and also what items to move to storage/elsewhere, needin' more room...

Our fellow potters in the Southern Hem are into Fall 'bout now.

Edited by Hulk
it ain' just me

First job will be to raise the vent panel on the roof of the kiln shed.  Almost did it last week but put it off.  On the weekend we had a doozy of a storm with heavy rain, hail and 90 k/hr winds which would have blown the panel off despite the dozen or so bricks weighing it down.   I guess I'll procrastinate a bit longer.

Lin

• Pres unpinned this topic