Music For The Making

I love music, all different kinds! Sometimes I'm feeling mellow, other times I need it loud. Usually my mood dictates my soundtrack for making work. I have found though that music too energetic can sometimes be a hinderance to my thought process, but that's just me.

I usually like to rock the following (shameless plug for my favs!):

The Black Keys

The Raconteurs

Metric

Silversun Pickups

The Avett Brothers

Portugal. The Man

Band of Skulls

Spoon

Beck

Gorillaz

Groove Armada

MGMT

Peter, Bjorn and John

Girl Talk

praxis, frankenstein brothers, thanatopsis, tabla beat science, anything buckethead or bill laswell, or karsh kale

Hi there,

I've got no idea what to listen to in the studio. My regular music style is so mellow and relaxing, but my studio is an energetic busy place. I need something to get me going. What do you listen to in your studios?

Okay, I'll show my age here, but give a try to The Doobie Brothers, Robert Palmer, Huey Lewis, Paul Simon, Elton John, The Beatles -- stuff that's got good energy but is so familair that you aren't distracted by it. Throw in some Big bad Voodoo Daddy and some country rock.

I have a computer hooked up to my speakers, and when I don't know what I'm in the mood for I fire up Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/). You tell it a song or artist you like, and it will play other music you might enjoy. Unlike a traditional radio station, you can skip stuff you don't care for.

I used to use that site and loved it. But now I believe it's now longer available in Canada for free. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I get bored with music and NPR/BBC. Lately, I've been listening to audio books in the studio. The sound of someone reading is like having company when I work alone, and my library has tons of new and classic titles. It has been a nice change of pace!

Nothing does it better for me than Carlos Santana! Try cranking up AquaMarine, One With You, Transcendence, Song Of The Wind, The Sensitive Kind, American Gypsy, Silver Dreams Golden Smiles, Open Invitation, I'll Be Waiting, etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on................They aren't the run of the mill Santana songs you hear on the radio, you just might like them!

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I get bored with music and NPR/BBC. Lately, I've been listening to audio books in the studio. The sound of someone reading is like having company when I work alone, and my library has tons of new and classic titles. It has been a nice change of pace!

Hey, that's a great idea!

IF you have a computer with internet connection in your studio, you can listen to almost anything at Rhapsody.com:

http://www.rhapsody.com/home.html

I think they have a plan that costs $10.95/month, and you can make your own playlists from their thousands of albums. I have been quite suprised at the depth of their collection, as I listen to the most obscure music available, and have found many gems right on rhapsody. I use this service several hours a day, and would probably die without it.

If you like Latin guitar/flamenco/fado, you may have heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela, two young guitarists who were in the Mexican thrash metal band Terra Acido. They took up acoustic flamenco guitars, and are bringing flamenco to new generations who might never have heard of it, or have written it off. They really are good.

IF you have a computer with internet connection in your studio, you can listen to almost anything at Rhapsody.com:

http://www.rhapsody.com/home.html

I think they have a plan that costs $10.95/month, and you can make your own playlists from their thousands of albums. I have been quite suprised at the depth of their collection, as I listen to the most obscure music available, and have found many gems right on rhapsody. I use this service several hours a day, and would probably die without it.

If you like Latin guitar/flamenco/fado, you may have heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela, two young guitarists who were in the Mexican thrash metal band Terra Acido. They took up acoustic flamenco guitars, and are bringing flamenco to new generations who might never have heard of it, or have written it off. They really are good.

I am familiar with Antonio and Gabriela, you are absolutely right, they are really good. I also like Carlos Montoya. Among other latin guitarists I like are Antonio Briebiesca, Ramon Dona-Dio, Juan Veronico and Claudio Estrada. My preferences seem to tend to the obscure.

Regards,

Charles

I love all the different responses, and will definitely check out the links. I like going to YouTube, finding my favorite musicians, and making a playlist on my computer. My favorite music genres are classical East Indian music, especially sarangi and tabla, and Renaissance/Baroque music my Jordi Savall and his group Hesperion XXI.

Archived