Ceramics in a sauna?

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Have you looked into Richlite or other compressed paper/pulp products?

I'm pretty familiar with Richlite (I've actually used it as exterior cladding on saunas) but I haven't considered it for this. Offhand, I'm not sure how I would use it here, since it's a panel product; I suppose it could be laminated into a block and shaped. I'm not sure how well it would hold up at sauna temps, or if there would be any offgassing issues with the resins, but it's an interesting idea. It's a great material.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cdub said:

I'm pretty familiar with Richlite (I've actually used it as exterior cladding on saunas) but I haven't considered it for this. Offhand, I'm not sure how I would use it here, since it's a panel product; I suppose it could be laminated into a block and shaped. I'm not sure how well it would hold up at sauna temps, or if there would be any offgassing issues with the resins, but it's an interesting idea. It's a great material.

I just read that Richlite can handle up to 350F. Can it be used in stave/hoop construction? It may last longer since it's so much more stable and waterproof than real wood. Or maybe glued up with high heat epoxy and hoops that are more decorative than functional. Just thinking out loud...

18 hours ago, cdub said:

I have a single door into my kitchen and into both my bathrooms, and I use ceramics in all three rooms. On the rare occasion that something breaks, I clean it up and go on with my day. They're ceramics, not explosives.

I can't think of many contexts where the use of ceramics would be considered "essential."

I'm not resistant to logic. I'm resistant to dismissing a material out of hand, only because it has limitations. All material have limitations, and the process of design is  largely one of accommodating them.

I haven't found any evidence that they have. If I do, I'll add it to my research.

Keep it posted so I can see results.

All th best.

Fibro cement?

Light and durable, can be moulded to look like anything, can bevused as plany pot if fails.

3 hours ago, neilestrick said:

It may last longer since it's so much more stable and waterproof than real wood

I'm not sure. Richlite is dimensionally more stable than wood relative to moisture, but less stable relative to temperature.

2 hours ago, Babs said:

Fibro cement?

Light and durable, can be moulded to look like anything, can bevused as plany pot if fails.

That's interesting: I've never heard of anyone molding fiber cement. Where have you seen that?

23 minutes ago, Babs said:

Lots of large planters now made of it.

Ah! Thank you. That's a different use of the term "fiber cement" than I'm familiar with (fiber cement also refers to an architectural siding material that's made of Portland cement and cellulose fibers). I believe these planters are made of what's more usually referred to as GFRC (glass fiber reinforced concrete). It works well for large pieces like planters, but it can't be cast in thicknesses less than about 1". Thanks for the suggestion, though -- I appreciate it.

Archived