Add ing colour to texture

I am working on slab pieces with fine line texture.  I want to add colour to the indents of the lines.  I would like to know what your favorite method of doing this is.  Coloured slip on leather hard clay wiped off, glaze or underglaze on bisque?  What works best and is most easily corrected if mistakes are made?

Lin

Hi Lin!

I'm accenting chatter and carving with underglaze (also glaze) on bisque.

I use a brush to pick up some water, then a blob of underglaze. Bisque being so thirsty, the water helps "float" the underglaze - with some practice, you may find the cuts filled with underglaze, and not much to wipe away. Any road, after brushing the chatter and/or carving full, I'm using a sponge to wipe the rest clean - wipe, turn the sponge, wipe, turn. With some practice, you may be able to minimize waste. 

fwiw, I'm not seeing enough stain - even on white clay - left behind on the surrounding area to be visible after the glaze fire. I started out filling chatter to prevent pinholes in the glaze, for dipping doesn't always wet the chatter marks to the bottom of the mark, then the glaze pulls away from the dry-ish bit in the firing.

Try the Mishima technique. Apply the slip to leather hard. Scrape the slip off the piece with a metal rib when it has dried enough to do so cleanly. Test a small area before doing the whole piece. Too soon, it will smear. If the body is heavily grogged you may get some drag lines. 

Just adding another method for the Mishima technique Ruth mentioned. You can also use wax resist on the leatherhard pot then scratch through the wax it's dry, apply the underglaze then wipe excess off the resisted areas. Since you are working on leatherhard you can scrape off the mistakes. Chandra DeBuse demo of this in the video below.

Thanks for everyone's answers.  I am texturing using fine material and/or finely carved items, so not carving in the designs myself. The indentations are not deep. I think the mishima technique might work  for some of the pieces.  I was really wondering if there was a preference between adding the colour at leather hard or after bisquing.  Lin

• 3 weeks later...