Olympic 1818HE- Any good? In the research stage.

KaiS

Hi all, 
I've been wanting to get a kiln for several years now and we're finally in a house where I might be able to do that but I still have a lot of things to consider. For the size, price, and temperature requirements I'm looking for, the Olympic 1818HE seems to be a good match only I'm finding it impossible to find reviews on any brands to know if it'll be good or not. I'm not looking for the top of the line, but of course don't want something that's not going to last either or is known to be something that'll break down when you look at it wrong. I'll be mostly firing to 4 or 6. 

i think this one has been discussed.   if you  use this forum for research, enter the kiln type in the search bar at the top of the page that opens first.   you should be directed to previous posts for that specific kiln.   there could be many posts for it or only a few but try it.

btw, that is why the more info you put in your title, the better results later.

18" wide kilns are not very functional for most potters. If you only make small or cylindrical items they can work, but for bowls, plates, etc, they're too narrow. Even for cereal bowls you can only fit 3 on a shelf, with a lot of wasted space. Dinner plates barely fit, if at all- depends on what clay you're using and what size plates you're making. Serving bowls won't fit at all. If you plan on this being your only kiln for a long time, then consider moving up to a 23" wide kiln. They're much more functional.

Archived