Crazing issues. :/

Hi to all,:D

Im new here and fairly  new to the pottery world. Here’s the low down.  I’m currently having issues with crazing on my pieces when using Amaco’s Celadons. I’m using them on carved dinnerware pieces (specifically, so I wouldn’t lose the details of the carvings)  However, they are now deemed useless since discovering this issue.
I use  ^6 specific clay (bisque to ^06, glaze to ^6) 

I’ve researched a bit and found that crazing is very common with that line of Celadons. My question to you all is what is a similar glaze that would compliment carved details and be suitable for dinnerware?? I’ve had a lot of luck with Amaco’s line of Potter’s choice, however I feel it may muddy my design a bit. I’ll attach my piece and the look I’m trying to achieve for reference. Thanks in advance

-Bailey

mug pictured: Amaco celadon-36 (3brush coats)

530E00CC-F897-4DD1-A7E8-9756549CB27D.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Bailey_rae_clay said:

However, they are now deemed useless since discovering this issue.
I use  ^6 specific clay (bisque to ^06, glaze to ^6) 

Not necessarily. If your clay is vitrified and you use good kitchen hygiene, crazed ware is safe to use. Crazing does weaken the pot to some degree though.

What I'ld suggest if you want to use commercial glazes without crazing is test some clear ones and find one that doesn't craze on your claybody then add ceramic stain(s) to it to achieve the colour you are after. I'ld start with looking for zinc free clears. This way you can have one base glaze with the option of many colours.

Welcome to the forum.

it is not the carving that causes the problem, it is the glaze ingredients and their compatibility with the the clay ingredients.   you may have selected a clay that does not work well with your chosen glaze.   there is a lot of testing, experimenting and failing to go through before you find the exact match of every component necessary for making just what you want.

9 hours ago, Min said:

Not necessarily. If your clay is vitrified and you use good kitchen hygiene, crazed ware is safe to use. Crazing does weaken the pot to some degree though.

What I'ld suggest if you want to use commercial glazes without crazing is test some clear ones and find one that doesn't craze on your claybody then add ceramic stain(s) to it to achieve the colour you are after. I'ld start with looking for zinc free clears. This way you can have one base glaze with the option of many colours.

Welcome to the forum.

The clay is definitely vitrified (I did the 24hr soak tests). However I do read a lot of conflicting opinions on the use of crazed pieces as drink ware. I personally don’t mind them in my cupboards! But I intend to sell these pieces, so I’ll probably play it safe. I’ll try adding stain to a clear glaze. Awesome tip, thank you!

47 minutes ago, oldlady said:

it is not the carving that causes the problem, it is the glaze ingredients and their compatibility with the the clay ingredients.   you may have selected a clay that does not work well with your chosen glaze.   there is a lot of testing, experimenting and failing to go through before you find the exact match of every component necessary for making just what you want.

I am certainly finding that to be the case! Thank you.  Test tiles will be my best friends.

Archived