Glaze layers not fusing/running

Mmplin

Hello! I am very new to glazing and would love some advice on what I might be doing wrong.

I am attempting to mimic these beautiful glazes off instagram, the potter mentioned she uses 2 coats of Amaco Toasted Sage over Mayco Raspberry for pink and Amaco Blue Midnight for blue:

Pink_Goal.jpg.aee3efaa6665ea781c63b15ce4490c0e.jpgBlue_Goal.jpg.bae1f641e06150192022a8b17e1d2001.jpg

Beautiful! Unfortunately mine ended up very sad :mellow:
Here is the before and after, fired to cone 6 (these glazes are cone 5/6):

Pink.jpg.0c55403abd92a16f63343b1392a9ef3a.jpg

Blue.jpg.80d6cc541bdfd05ee05c96dd9414e90a.jpg

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thank you so much for any advice, I'm at a bit of a loss here!

The clay can make a huge difference,  the clay in the photo looks like it might be speckled.   Speckle always changes the glaze appearance.   I tested a black clay with every glaze I had in my studio,  I only had one that was acceptable.   It was a glaze called Flaky lime green,  it was metallic bronze when fired on black clay,  the manganese in the clay ruined the rest of the glazes.  Denice

In addition to the above your form is the inverse of hers so it will travel and break differently. Her breaks begin traditionally starting at the rim, yours is going to be much more free flowing with no main area to break over. The second sample looks closer in that if you applied less of your top glaze it might match more closely to hers. The first group has all the break and thickness issues but doesn’t seem to be her combination really.

I do know that not only thickness but temp will affect that.  I had my kiln throw an error code during a glaze load and it did not reach top temp.  The differences in the glazes was a tremendous study!  I found it fascinating!  Maybe you can check your temp?  Put a cone pack in? 

Go to the Amaco website and under Resources click on layering. You will get a ton of Amaco combos for their glazes. Here's one that may work with a little playing around. PC-43 Toasted Sage over C-57 Mulberry | AMACO Brent. You won't find their glazes layered over a competitor's, but you may find combinations that work for you...Here is a combo similar to your second photo: PC-12 Blue Midnight over PC-20 Blue Rutile Glaze Layering | AMACO Brent

Archived