40 Inch Bailey Electric Slab Roller making a retching sound

DirtRoads

Makes a loud retching sound and leaves a ridge line.   It started with just one ridge line and now it seems it makes one on every roll.   Calling Bailey tomorrow but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas.  It does this when you have a heavy load going through the machine.   This machine used to push through 6 inch blocks and that is what you see in the video.

Thanks in advance.

Hope fully the coated rollers are not scratched. The chain drive is a simple deal does that ned tightening?Quit using it until you diagnose it. Not much to go wrong? is anything wrapped in chain drive. I thing you and I are the only ones on this forum with this same machine.

22 hours ago, oldlady said:

no video here.   is there a wrinkle somewhere?   did a dowel get dropped under something?   i would get a flashlight and look under everything first but a call tomorrow will really work.

I was referring to the videos on Bailey's website.   I did have a plastic lid get caught in it.   I've looked well and don't see anything.

There is one scratch .. not very deep ... and it covers about 25% of roller.

Left a message today but it was late.  And I think that storm is in Bailey's area

sharon,  you are right about the storm.   i am on the very edge of it and it started snowing at 4 am monday and has continued off and on until an hour ago.   our temperature has made it start melting but there are 5-6 inches of snow here, lord knows how much they got in NY, the city is over a foot.

Talked to tech support today at Bailey.   Guess we aren't supposed to mention names, but that guy is always so helpful and polite.     Told me to find out where the noise was coming from.   No idea why I didn't pop off the cover before calling .......  Anyways, the machine had slipped a bit in the mounting bracket, making the chain loose and the motor wobble.    It popped back in place, but I need to see exactly where those two screws in the mounting bracket should be.   They slide up or down a bit ... I guess to adjust for the chain.     No idea where the instructions are.

@Mark C. if you could snap a pic behind the motor side ( that shows the mounting brackets) that would be great.  If not, no problem  I'll ask for diagram tomorrow.

But the machine is working 100% correctly now, but I want to be sure mounting is right.

Bolts on mine are also at 2 different heights.   My motor had slipped and that was causing the noise and chain was really lose.   I slipped it back and lowered the one side so chain is tight again.  But you see it is sloped to one side .   I can't lower the other side for some reason.   That center bracket is probably holding it.  The center bracket was loose and slid around.  Now it is tight.

I hope I can get installation manual from Bailey and set it up according to factory specs.

Thanks for all your trouble.    Especially considering you have one hand.  Owe you one for doing that.

Sharon

IMG_1328.JPG

On 2/4/2021 at 3:45 AM, DirtRoads said:

My motor had slipped and that was causing the noise and chain was really lose.   I slipped it back and lowered the one side so chain is tight again.  But you see it is sloped to one side .   I can't lower the other side for some reason.   That center bracket is probably holding it.  The center bracket was loose and slid around.  Now it is tight

As with all motors that have either belts or chains there should be a little slack. Unless specified by the manufacturer a little play of 1/2" is needed. Otherwise you run the risk of ruining the bearings and/or collars. You can test this play by moving the chain up and down and eye balling the distance it moves.

Archived