Texas talc

Dick White

Why Dick That a BIG wide open Rumor. Everything is bigger in Texas, all kidding side I had a good talk a few years ago with Laguna clays (now retired)clay guy and old friend John Puccini 

He at that time said large chemical companies where buying up small ones and closing them down if the products competed -it its the classic condition in this country where its all consolidated  and the price goes up with zero competition. Heck Laguna started this trend in our field 20 years ago buying up competitors . Like Axner and Stuart materials as well as the stilt post company(I forgot their name just now) and recently the gas burner outfit Gas appliance Company (she told me before she sold she wanted out as her husband died) I had dealt with them over 40 years in to locations-they make the MR 75s and Mr 100s.Of cause every one of these the price went up.

I would not be surprised at all. I have ben using other talcs anyway but maybe I should stock up-oh heck I am stocked up.I like Serria lite talc myself -it costs more and is a white talc in bag.

Let us know if its true.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Cristina Celis said:

anyone know how to substitute Texas Talc in a clay body? 

Get the analysis for any other available talc you can get in Mexico then compare the chemistry to the TexasTalc. There can be quite a difference in talcs, example would be Sierralite talc which is high in alumina compared to Amtalc. Once you have the analysis for what's available to you then it's a question of balancing the 2 analysis's and adjusting the clay formula to match.

Welcome to the forum.

I received this news about Texas talc off the market as a Laguna distributor

They (Laguna ) is looking for another talc source now

I have used Serralite for decades now  . It costs more. (I still have some texas talc as i only use it in one glaze) as I have never been a fan of it.

see my pots on this here

• 7 months later...

Needing  talc replacements to  NM.   CIMBAR has introduced  both  Cimtalc 7, 10 and 15   along with our newest grade   Aspect  7 and 15.   Low  Iron  fires off white not as white as NM but is seen as replacement options.    Send me an email or call.   713-497-6690  and we will direct you to our distribution and get a sample out to you 

Hi Tom!

There's also some recent talc discussion on this thread: Talc shortage? New Talc - Cim Talc - Clay and Glaze Chemistry - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

I'd found this data sheet (posted by Palmar Holland): Your Technology Resource (palmerholland.com)
If you have an updated/newer data sheets (I'm not finding much on the Aspect product), would you please post it here?

Thanks for stepping in to fill the talc gap!

P.S. Please do introduce yourself, post your email address, and discuss Cimbar's commitment to supplying talc to the pottery/ceramic world!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived