Newbie, two questions about interrupted bisque firing

I purchased a used Paragon A88B kiln. The arrangement of the elements: two High, Medium, Low, Off switches, each one controlling two elements.   During my first firing I could see (peep hole)  that one of the elements was not working and one was working, the other peep hole was blocked by a shelf so I could not see the other two elements.    After 17 hours I still had not reached cone 06 so I turned off the kiln.   

Question (1) Is there a way to estimate approximate temperature achieved inside kiln?  I realize there are many, many variables (element age, voltage, clay thickness, number of pieces, etc etc etc.)  I ask because the pieces ring as though they are bisque, but the sitter cone never melted (no bend at all).  FWIW, I did find a link to a cone pack while searching for answers in the forum, I will be using one in the future.    

Question (2) I assume once the kiln is repaired, I can simply  re-fire these pieces at cone 06?

Thanks for your time

Sorcery

Yes, thank you.   After I posted my question, I took the kiln apart for diagnostics.  When the top element had continuity, I realized that something else was going on.  I found the diagram, and others, that you posted.  When I last looked, the kiln indeed was one switch high, one switch medium.  All elements seem to be ok, and switches test ok.  I think the elements are just old and are not as efficient, probably why the previous owner sold it.  Its hard to want to put $300 into a $200 kiln. It was 8 hours on high/high (plus 9 hours various low/medium) and didn't reach cone 06.  Thats seems like its just too long.

7 hours ago, Algoessailing said:

When I last looked, the kiln indeed was one switch high, one switch medium. 

It won't get to temp unless both switches are on high. Start the kiln again and do a typical schedule- 1 hour on low, 1 hour on medium, high till done.  Also look at your elements and see what condition they're in. Are the coils still straight and even or are they starting to lay over and bunch up? The best way to check the elements is to measure their resistance with a multi-meter. There are video instructions on most manufacturer's websites that show how to measure them. Any cheap digital meter will work. You should be able to find one at your local hardware store, or Amazon has some for less than $15.

7 hours ago, Algoessailing said:

Its hard to want to put $300 into a $200 kiln.

If the bricks are in good condition, then new elements are not a big deal. They're part of the general wear and tear of kiln use. Like changing the oil or getting new brakes on your car. Even if you spend $300 on elements, you've only spent $500 on a kiln that would cost you triple that new.

You can also get an inexpensive digital pyrometer and thermocouple to watch how fast it's climbing, which will give you a better idea of how well the elements are working.

Archived