Kiln Error Message translation

Debs0106

Hello - I wonder if anyone here has got a Potterycrafts TC1800 Controller for their kiln? Mine has just come up with Err4 - interestingly the manual has meanings for Err 2,3,5 & 6 but not 4 frustratingly. It goes with my P5923 Aurora Hobby Kiln?

As to why it has exceeded soak temperature, it could be:

1. Bad thermocouple reading

2. Stuck relay. If it has climbed way above the set point and isn't cooling as quickly as it should, then this is probably the reason.

3. Climbing too quickly leading up to the hold temp. If it's climbing really fast, then once it kicks into the hold the elements will still be radiating heat, and if the controller doesn't compensate for the overshoot then the temp will rise too much.

Thanks very much Neil - my controller reading has been flickering at high temperatures and the soak timer setting stopped working altogether.  I have been trying to get by and have managed up until now but may have to invest in a new controller and get the thermocoupler replaced.

2 hours ago, Charlene Bergen said:

I have a similar situation. My controller is reading an E-1 this morning. But when I looked at the info in the Review Program, In the review, I saw that the last temp was 1945 degrees. I suppose that it reached the 1945 degrees it suppose to have. Any ideas? It’s a Bartlett Controller V6-CF.

E-1 just means it isn't getting hot as quickly as it should. It's totally vague and doesn't actually point to a specific problem. The first thing to check is any obvious electrical connection that has fried out. Then check the condition of the thermocouple, and make sure all the thermocouple connections are tight. Then, if you're handy with a meter, trace the flow of electricity from the outlet to the elements and see where it stops, and check the continuity of the elements. If you're not handy with a meter, then turn the elements on full, wait a few minutes, then carefully crack the lid and see if all the elements are glowing. If they are, then there's a good chance your elements are simply worn out and should be replaced, however erroring at 1945 is unlikely to be caused by old element unless they're really, really worn. Ultimately they should be checked with a meter to see if the resistance is off. If you have one dead element, then that's the problem. If you've got two dead elements in the same section of the kiln, then you've probably got a dead relay. It's also possible that you have a relay that is sticking at high temps, which is very difficult to diagnose. however they usually die soon after getting sticky.

Archived