Can you marble clays with different porosities? Earthenware + stoneware?

Titicaca

Welcome to the forum, Titicaca...Your idea is not a good one and not something that will work IMO. It's not something that I have done before and don't plan on trying. The problem you have (as I see it) is the temps at which each clay would vitrify, but it also depends on what you plan on making with your marbled clay. If you fire it to the earthenware clay's vitrification temp, the stoneware will remain porous. If you fire to the stoneware temp, then the earthenware will almost definitely melt. I would stick with one or the other. However, there are many others here on the forum that will provide further input. There is one member in particular, I believe it is Chris Campbell, who has worked extensively in the aspect of marbling and has had articles published, whose profile you might check out...

You can do whatever you want!

But.... Lol!

Besides for functionality, it's not the porosity that is problematic as much as it is the shrink.

If they aren't working, I'd try doing a homogenizing line blend of sorts. As homogenization will bring there characteristics closer. 

5% mixed 95% swirl. 10/90, 15/85, etc.

Till you find what works if at all. As it may take you into not enough swirl.

I think there is more leeway than it seems.

Sorce

It totally depends. One of my students has been working with thrown marbled clays, cone 6, and the dark stoneware and porcelain pieces cracked/separated. However I had another student several years ago that marbled porcelain and terra cotta, fired to cone 10, and it worked. I think the big difference was the degree to which the pieces were mixed. Large areas of pure colors will tend to separate more than thin layers. It'll take some testing, for sure.

Archived