Firing metal tape

LeeU

I'm not into experimenting if there may be damage to my kiln, so the question I have is: would 3/8" wide x .0015" thick actual copper tape (not wire) applied as a single layer with space between the strips-- on green ware & single fired to cone 5 --either without glaze,  or over or under a commercial white glaze-- produce any problem--or just burn off--or maybe do something cool???? Thx.

7 minutes ago, oldlady said:

lee, you might want to research the old posts about firing pennies.   i know your tape is different but...................................

Pennies expand in the kiln due to the zinc metal that pennies are made from.  Pennies have only a very thin copper veneer

6 hours ago, Pleasant Pottery said:

places it at the tops as it becomes fluid

Hi--so is this specific to the tape I am considering?  Looks great. American Science & Surplus is having a sale on the tape-guess I'll go ahead and try it.  :)

• 1 month later...

Well, the band of copper tape around the upper exterior  did nothing--I assume it was too thin & will apply a thicker one next. The interior where I dropped in the ribbon of copper tape just looks/is charred over the bit of turquoise.  The lighter areas on the sidewalls of the interior is granite dust, pressed in the raw body--the grit/roughness making it kind of an inside-out a bowl. I like to introduce paradox that renders what "should" be a functional form into something that can just sit there, and be stared at, or maybe to be felt up, but definitely not to serve soup in. 

copper before.jpg

copper after).jpg

On 2/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, LeeU said:

Well, the band of copper tape around the upper exterior  did nothing--I assume it was too thin & will apply a thicker one next. The interior where I dropped in the ribbon of copper tape just looks/is charred over the bit of turquoise.  The lighter areas on the sidewalls of the interior is granite dust, pressed in the raw body--the grit/roughness making it kind of an inside-out a bowl. I like to introduce paradox that renders what "should" be a functional form into something that can just sit there, and be stared at, or maybe to be felt up, but definitely not to serve soup in. 

copper before.jpg

copper after).jpg

Wow! It melted!!  Sorry Lee for  being late to the party, I just now saw this whole thread.    Do you think the copper strip was too thin?  Would copper wire like 12 or 10 or 8 Gauge produce effects like in Peter's posts above??  What if you layered up the copper strips??  Very interesting!!

Archived